Is it mandatory for a 5 inch pound torque wrench
02-02-2021, (Subject: Is it mandatory for a 5 inch pound torque wrench ) 
RE: Is it mandatory for a 5 inch pound torque wrench
(02-01-2021 )90petercar Wrote:  I'm trying to set my overhead myself for the first time..is it mandatory to have that 5 inch pound torque wrench..seems kind of light

Just run the set screw down until it touches the feeler gauge + feeler gauge has some resistance when moving it around under it. Lock it in place afterwords with the retaining nut as specified by QSOL (Quick Serv On Line instructions). It is not very critical, it just needs to be touching with a little bit of some positive resistance when sliding the feeler-gauge around under the set screw.

It is a big-ole clunky diesel engine, so it does not have to be extremely precise.

My own rule of thumb (for all valve rockers, including engine brakes) is that after you set it and tighten the locking-nut, if you can get the feeler-gauge out from under the rocker without having to yank on it really hard, then it's good enough. You don't want it really loose, but in general, the easier it is to pull it out, the better, as the valves gaps TIGHTEN UP as the head wears, not the other way around, so if it is a thousandths or so on the loose side of things, it will not hurt anything whatsoever.

As far as the engine brake is concerned, SET THE CLEARANCES CORRECTLY!! -- DO NOT make more or less clearance to try to get the engine brake to be stronger or weaker. THIS DOES NOT WORK! because it is the TURBO=-CHARGER that sets the strength of the engine brakes, NOT THE VALVES!. All you will end up doing is increasing risk of a piston striking a valve on an up-stroke under heavy engine braking and high RPM conditions. - Adjusting them outside of what QSOL says is a NO-NO! and anyone who would do, or even suggest this is simply some fool who ignorant on how the engine brakes on the ISX actually works.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is it mandatory for a 5 inch pound torque wrench - Rawze - 02-02-2021

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.