Is this normal?
02-02-2021, (Subject: Is this normal? ) 
Is this normal?
Just became an O/O 2014 freight shaker 125. ISX 15 450hp CM2250 10sp, and trying to learn as much as possible about my truck. I was messing around in Cummins Quickserve and noticed this../uploads/202102/post_5349_1612316586_49c12c41f5d356695b9288d66de5680c.png
Has my motor been governed down by Ryder(previous owner)?

User's Signature: A truck is like a woman, you gotta keep buying her small things before she wants something big.
replyreply
RE: Is this normal?
No, your engine makes 450hp@1800RPM and 1550ftlbs@1100RPM

When it says 'governed' it means at governed RPM which is 2100RPM on this calibration. Which is 369hp & 922ftlbs @ 2100RPM

If I could find the fuel curve chart it would make much more sense....
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(02-02-2021 )Bward Wrote:  Just became an O/O 2014 freight shaker 125. ISX 15 450hp CM2250 10sp, and trying to learn as much as possible about my truck. I was messing around in Cummins Quickserve and noticed this.
Has my motor been governed down by Ryder(previous owner)?

The photo you posted is simply stating that at the upper limits of the motor power has been reduced to prevent damage. In regular operating mode, you are supposed to make 450 Brake Horse Power @ 1800 rpm. Your peak torque level is set for, or at, 1100 RPM

When you operate this truck, or motor, you want to keep the rpm's above 1500 rpms when going down the road, do not lug this motor say in the hills or mountains, keep the rpm level ABOVE 1500 rpm. If you lug the motor, it contributes towards a shortened engine life. contributes towards bust one of the liners loose and then will have to in frame the motor.

And you do know about the fuel pumps? That needs to be rebuilt every 400,000 miles or sooner, as they can and do fail, and when the do, in frame time, if the engine is even salvageable.

Back to your question...

Here is the definition of Brake HP...

HP vs BHP. Traditionally 'brake horsepower' (bhp) has been used as the definitive measurement of engine power. It's distinct from horsepower because it takes into account power loss due to friction – it's measured by running an engine up to full revs, then letting it naturally slow down to a dead stop.

If you purchase an Inline 6 reader and install the Insite Software on a laptop, you will then be able to see if anything has been done to lower HP or torque. If you are keeping this truck, you will need the Inline reader and software, check eBay, they can be had for around $200 - $300 delivered. Most of us got ours from China or Hong Kong. They work fine.

here is one from China https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cummins-INLINE-...Sw6~BgBUJ9

Here is one from the US if you want it quicker https://www.ebay.com/itm/Inline-6-USB-Da...SwG4Be7xPe

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
02-03-2021, (Subject: Is this normal? ) 
Thanks for the input. I have a inline 6 kit but waiting for my new CD-ROM drive to show up so I can install Insite 7.x.x. I am new to diesels but can fix damn near anything. truck has 535,000 miles and the fuel pump has been changed to the new 2 piston type but don't know when. I plan on doing a EGR tune up on it when I get a chance.

User's Signature: A truck is like a woman, you gotta keep buying her small things before she wants something big.
replyreply
(02-03-2021 )Bward Wrote:  ...
the fuel pump has been changed to the new 2 piston type but don't know when.

Famous last words for many - a - truck owner as they are on the side of the road with a destroyed engine for not replacing the guts of that pump the day they got the truck.

-- (common rail ISX's) does not matter what pump style you have... does not matter what "updates" that may have been done... every 400k miles of run time on the pump YOU REPLACE ALL THE GUTS!!!!... or face the music the hard way at some point and become another statistic on here.

If your unsure about the age and run time on the pump .... YOU REPLACE THE GUTS!

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
ok, ill look into ordering a rebuild kit for it.

replyreply
02-05-2021, (Subject: Is this normal? ) 
The 2 piston vs 3 piston fuel pumps mean nothing. They stopped shipping the 3 piston pumps pretty early on in the 2250's production. My 2250 was built in late 2011 with a 2 piston fuel pump. The ceramic plungers however were present much longer (at least into some 2013 builds). But, like Rawze said, ALL the common rail pumps (2010 and up) are basically identical and all are prone to suffer complete internal failure over time. Most failures occur some time beyond 400,000 miles (roughly 8,900 engine hours). Sometimes 450k, 550k, 650k. 400,000 miles seems to be a safe target for regularly scheduled rebuilds of the fuel pump head. Personally, I'd take the approach of opening up the head ever 100-200k mi to look for excessive wear. Just be sure to clean the area really well before hand so you don't introduce dirt into the system.

Finally, I don't think they sell rebuild "kits" anymore. Check out cummins quickserve or parts.cummins.com for the correct rollers, tappets and barrels and plungers. Last I checked you're looking around $500 in parts. Grab a new $15 gasket too (though I've been told they can be reused I personally would just replace it and not take the chance)

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
It seems to me that opening up that pump every 100-200k miles for inspection would be just asking for something unforeseen to go wrong. Me personally I would open it up only with the full intentions of replacing everything.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , Waterloo
(02-05-2021 )Chamberpains Wrote:  It seems to me that opening up that pump every 100-200k miles for inspection would be just asking for something unforeseen to go wrong. Me personally I would open it up only with the full intentions of replacing everything.

I agree, this system is to sensitive to dirt/contaminates. It's fed by a 4 micron filter so it wouldn't take much to cause harm somewhere in the system. I feel the same way about the guys who do an overhead 4 times a year, personally I don't think it's a good idea to introduce any amount of dirt,paint chips,pieces of old wire loom,etc. into the engine unless it's at a known service interval.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , SquareOne

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.