Advice for newbie
02-23-2021, (Subject: Advice for newbie ) 
RE: Advice for newbie
Well, he accepted the offer of 15 K .Surprised me, but it’s been really crappy in Nebraska and there apparently not of ton of buyers, so I dug a lot more and really think I’m not going to get hurt. I signed up with quickserve. Have been watching tons of posts, videos, and forums. Truck always used in Midwest pulling pretty light loads. Used Rig Dig and the only 6 inspections the truck ever got were fairly local.
I’m buying it because I think it’s a pretty solid unit. Time will tell!
Way too much snow to go pick it up for a few days.
So I screwed something up and lost my password. I’ll probably have to start another account. Help Rawze......

So first order of business is pulling the top cover and checking the cams and rollers.
Then with some good advice from you guys, figure out how to deal with the EGR being unplugged. Somehow plugging it back in doesn’t seem like a good idea.
When I figure out how to post picks, I will. Raze mentioned not being sure of motor. It is a cm870. Plate on motor. I signed up for quickserve and entered the engine serial number. It says it’s a 475
Horse @ 2000 rpm and 1850 lbs of torque at 1200.
Just bear with me. I’m not a diesel motor guy, but I am capable of figuring things out.
Just an old guy who refuses to give up.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , Waterloo
Good deal, hope it al works out!

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
Waterloo, I think it will. Not putting it on road til late spring. I’ll just believe I will get straightforward answers and help from the folks here that do know a ton.
replyreply
As a former grain hauler myself, id be hesitant to buy a used truck from a grain hauler. A lot of em make a sport of seeing how fast they can drag 130k lbs.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , Running rough
(02-23-2021 )smorgan87 Wrote:  As a former grain hauler myself, id be hesitant to buy a used truck from a grain hauler. A lot of em make a sport of seeing how fast they can drag 130k lbs.

Sounds like an expensive hobby

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(02-23-2021 )tree98 Wrote:  
(02-23-2021 )smorgan87 Wrote:  As a former grain hauler myself, id be hesitant to buy a used truck from a grain hauler. A lot of em make a sport of seeing how fast they can drag 130k lbs.

Sounds like an expensive hobby
Lol, with rates where they are for agri dry bulk its damn expensive. I personally prefered to keep my money.
replyreply
02-24-2021, (Subject: Advice for newbie ) 
I’m sure there are some who do that smorgan87, but I grew up in small town Nebr. most of the farmers I ever encountered took care of their machinery better than anything else. Granted that is a generalization.

The trucking company he bought it from is a small town company that had a nice shop, a couple mechanics that have been there for many years, they did a lot of work for a clothing chain in the Midwest. Loads were mostly light and in the Midwest.

The truck hasn’t been beaten to crap on the horrid roads in the northeast. Not hauled 40 K plus pounds on roads over the mountains to California every week. I know I’m going to put a lot of money in it for a year or so. But it’s not making a 15 to 17 hundred dollar payment every month for four or five years. And after five years that truck will be nearing the breakdown stage. Just an old guys opinion... we all know what opinions are!!
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.