EGR cooler alternative.
02-04-2021, (Subject: EGR cooler alternative. ) 
EGR cooler alternative.
I took off my crossover tube and found steam coming out of the EGR (de-mandated truck). I was wondering if anybody has experience with taking a cheap aftermarket EGR cooler (on de-mandated trucks) and welding a plug on both sides of it so that exhaust pressure does not enter the piping. Without it having the pressure of exhaust or that actual gas in there does the quality of cooler matter?
replyreply
RE: EGR cooler alternative.
If the engine is de-mandated then the only thing that counts is the proper volume of coolant flow.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Smiling lemon
I just put a metal plate and gasket at the firewall end. At the flex end, I made the mistake of welding the end of it. It started leaking from the flex shortly after so I had to take the flex off and weld again right at the EGR cooler body itself, then positioned the flex part back into place.

This weld was done a few years ago. I recently had the coolant pressurizing, so I pulled the turbo and inspected this weld, and took this picture. I would have liked to see that the weld failed, unfortunately something else more major has happened.
replyreply
I was thinking about when i take off the egr cooler, cut the cooler in half, take off all of the fins and weld a solid pipe inside there then weld the hole thing back together
replyreply
(02-04-2021 )Smiling lemon Wrote:  I was thinking about when i take off the egr cooler, cut the cooler in half, take off all of the fins and weld a solid pipe inside there then weld the hole thing back together

That sounds like a lot of work. Just seal both exhaust ends and let it fill with coolant.

My EGR cooler (shown in picture) is the factory original. It was one of the first generation ones that didn't last long before internally leaking. It now has 1.5 million miles.
replyreply
(02-04-2021 )barf Wrote:  That sounds like a lot of work. Just seal both exhaust ends and let it fill with coolant.
I thought about that but was worried about the fins breaking off and circulating metal trough the cooking system. Would it be fun to knock out all of the fins and then seal it off to fill with coolant?
replyreply
You might have a valid point about the fins. My CM871 just died prematurely, less than 500K on an in-frame, coolant system pressurizing. I can't afford to keep it to examine why, it's my down payment on my next venture - a CM2350.
replyreply
(02-04-2021 )barf Wrote:  You might have a valid point about the fins. My CM871 just died prematurely, less than 500K on an in-frame, coolant system pressurizing. I can't afford to keep it to examine why, it's my down payment on my next venture - a CM2350.

in about 2 years, you'll wish you never got rid of the CM871. just my opo any ways... i see it over and over.

only 500k on an inframe means it was not done correctly when someone was in there ... or some kind of abuse perhaps?.

was it this same truck that was done at a stealers$hit? ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid25255

most likely even if they counter-bored it, they only set height back to 0.010" and it will certainly not last another million like this.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I'm with Rawze, fix the motor. Just the thought of having that ticking time bomb under the hood would have me selling my furniture if necessary to pay for the repairs on the 871.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Pd6cas2

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.