EGR cooler alternative.
02-05-2021, (Subject: EGR cooler alternative. ) 
RE: EGR cooler alternative.
I don't want to hi-jack this thread about an EGR cooler, but:

You are correct Rawze, good catch, yes I had the local stealershit inframe it 3 years ago. I went cheap and had a rebuilt head used, maybe that was the problem. I didn't have them replace the damper at the time, so a year later the crankshaft broke. I had the engine pulled out of frame to install a used crankshaft. That cost me dearly. I loved that truck immensely. I bought it brand new, made many mistakes with it. If you read http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=760, I was of course talking about me, not a friend. My next rebuild I was hoping to get it to Haggai's. But it died too soon, I don't have the money to fix it.

I don't know how the dealer got me financed for this new to me truck. I'm jumping from my '09 ProStar to a '15 ProStar. The newer one was a bed bug hauler with only 367,000km (228k miles).

My old one had 2.4 million km (1.5 million miles) and was mostly original. Engine was still original air compressor, injectors, fuel pump, 3 of 4 metering solenoids, oil cooler, fuel lines and more. Had an oil leak from front somewhere, and was getting bad recently. Truck still had original untouched transmission, rear ends, steering everything, king pins, and more. The truck had several rain water leaks, was rusting pretty good, had vibrations, drivers seat was shot, windshield passed safety but was getting bad, visors (ext and driver int) were broken, and it was scaring me what could go wrong next.

I know I'm going to miss that truck, I knew it inside out, and it had an @m*m^2 tune. It was also a 13 speed manual. I am really scared jumping to this new truck. I don't plan on "tuning" it. It also really scares me that it's an autoshift. Not looking forward to driving that.

I've been reading this site and realize I'm going to have to put more into this engine. But I thought my only other option was to become a company driver, and really didn't like that.

I hate to see the old beast go to the salvage yard, but putting another 20K into a rebuild on this truck worth 3K isn't something anyone but me would do, and I can't so it's goodbye old truck. It's truly a one owner truck, start to finish.

One last thing that I won't miss is it's 6.5 mpg lifetime average. I drove it mostly 60 mph, kept the boost low, and that's still all I got. Hopefully this new CM2350 does much better.
replyreply
Correct me if im wrong but the EGR cooler on a cm87x doesn't have fins inside. All the ones I've handled have stainless tubes that run the length of the inside of the cooler. I can't see any way they'd come apart and send shrapnel through the cooling system. All the ones I've seen leak internally are from the welded ends cracking. If no exhaust gas is going through it then if it leaks internally then it would just fill up with coolant.

** barf I hope you never leave this forum. I still get a good chuckle just seeing your name. To this day its the most unfortunate screenname on the sight.
It also sound to me like you "settled" on an available truck instead of looking for one that suits you. I too hope this doesn't bite you. I wish you the best of luck with it. I also hope you put more research in to your choice than just a hope and prayer that it works out.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , barf , Waterloo , JimT , Smiling lemon
(02-05-2021 )Chamberpains Wrote:  ** barf I hope you never leave this forum. I still get a good chuckle just seeing your name. To this day its the most unfortunate screenname on the sight.

barf... the mawg (half-man half-dog) from Spaceballs played by John Candy

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , SquareOne
^^----- Thought I was the only one who thought like that lol...classic
replyreply
02-10-2021, (Subject: EGR cooler alternative. ) 
(02-04-2021 )barf Wrote:  I just put a metal plate and gasket at the firewall end. At the flex end, I made the mistake of welding the end of it. It started leaking from the flex shortly after so I had to take the flex off and weld again right at the EGR cooler body itself, then positioned the flex part back into place.

This weld was done a few years ago. I recently had the coolant pressurizing, so I pulled the turbo and inspected this weld, and took this picture. I would have liked to see that the weld failed, unfortunately something else more major has happened.

Do you know what the orifice size is? I have a cm2350 and was thinking bang in freeze plugs and weld them in place
replyreply
(02-10-2021 )Smiling lemon Wrote:  Do you know what the orifice size is? I have a cm2350 and was thinking bang in freeze plugs and weld them in place

like i mentioned in the quick-chat...

FREEZE PLUGS WILL NOT HOLD UP TO THE 90+ PSI OF HOT EXHAUST PRESSURES IN THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD!!!!!!!!!!--- THEY WILL EVENTUALLY BLOW OUT AND DESTROY THE TURBOCHARGER OR THE ENIGNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU NEED SOMETHING THICK TO WELD UP INTO THE ENDS OF AN EGR COOLER!!!

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Then i will order 10 mm thick stainless disks to weld in the but i can not order till i know what size the orifice is at inlet and outlet.
replyreply
I have an egr cooler off of a 2250, are they the same?? I would think so. I can measure it when I get back in a day or 2.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
The picture that I took and the attached file is for a CM871. I don't know that the CM2350 EGR cooler would be the same size.

There is/was a member on here selling this at one time. I don't know if he still does.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  304-stainless.pdf (Size: 7.74 MB / Downloads: 0)
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.