2014 ISX oil temp
03-30-2021, (Subject: 2014 ISX oil temp ) 
RE: CM2350 factory file comparrisons...
(03-30-2021 )BDiscovery Wrote:  New engine serial number is 79782720

Old engine serial number was 79653667

I'm supposed to have EF10049 but it is running on EF10059

Looks like I have a fun project ahead of me.

With the ser#'s I could do some deeper digging.

differences are only the intake throttle device, the turbo (exhaust turbine is different), and the pistons (compression ratio is different) between the 2 engines. The cylinder head, valves, cam are the same. It is not as bad as some that I have seen, but it still is not right.

As mentioned above, neither program is quite right for it.

Which turbo is on it?... the old one off of the old engine, or the one that came with the new engine?

Is the throttle device on it? or not?. Take a couple overview pics of the intake if not sure, one from the side, and one from top-down overview of intake area and manifold.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
The turbo is from the new engine.

I'll get some pictures.
replyreply
Engine pics

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
03-31-2021, (Subject: 2014 ISX oil temp ) 
(03-30-2021 )BDiscovery Wrote:  ...
Engine pics

looks like the intake throttle device is present as well...

and...
(03-30-2021 )BDiscovery Wrote:  New engine serial number is 79782720 (takes program EF10049 / CPL3937)
Old engine serial number was 79653667 (takes program EF10059 / CPL3938)
I'm supposed to have EF10049 but it is running on EF10059

=============

I cannot find a proper factory file for this combination of components. I don't think one exists, as they have 2 different tiers of hardware emissions components meant for 2 different power ranges.

The easiest solution would most likely be to adapt/edit the EF10059 program to ...

* Handle the Intake Air throttle device properly.
* Change the turbo settings so that they match the new turbo.
* Change the engine combustion cycle to handle the different compression ratio.

It would be far easier to do this than to try and make the EF10049 adapt to a different CAC, Different DOC, DPF, SCR, different emissions tier and flow, etc.

A custom program would be the only way to get it right unless someone wants to put the matching CPL3937 emissions systems on the truck, or put a CPL3938 engine back in it... Neither of which is likely to happen.

Either way, as far as I can tell, this should not have been done by whatever shop installed this engine. It is not only an incorrect CPL engine replacement, but as it stands, it technically is not legal, because the emissions system is for a bigger tier engine with different emissions standards than the engine that is currently in there. It is a mis-match. The emissions system requirements follow the engine, not the truck.

I see shops do this kind of stuffs all the time unfortunately, because they are severely under-trained in what should go with what. - It seems they all assume these engine have all the same hardware inside them, and that the CPL does not mean very much.

- That is what I see any ways ... What a mess.

The alternative would be a de-mandate (if you live where that kinda thing is legal), but even then, a custom program will have to be made for it to work 100% correctly.

What I would like to know is how it ended up like this?...

Was it the truck owner who did not know any better and found a different tier engine?... or was it purely the repair shop who recommended and found this engine, then installed it?

Were/Are they an OEM certified shop?. Is there a warranty on all this work they did?? and who is going to pay for the emissions problems now, when they act up?. Whom is going to pay the fines if the thing gets inspected and fails an emissions system test, say if it were to get stopped in New-Jerky or California and a sniffer placed on it?. - Those are the next thoughts that come to mind any ways... maybe its just me.

And the shop that did this is also most likely to make this mistake again, their customers surely suffering the consequences of this stupidity. That is the sad part.

======

I don't know if the higher than normal oil temp issue will be solved by repairing the programming alone, but it might certainly make a difference. The program that is in there now does not match the turbo requirements,... and this can contribute to higher then normal oil temps, as the fuel-air-mix vs. the compression ratio is most likely incorrect. Add in a dash of incorrect piping, incorrect emissions component back-pressures, etc... and it certainly can be the culprit, but its anyone's guess.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.