OTHER ENGINES
08-01-2016, (Subject: OTHER ENGINES ) 
RE: OTHER ENGINES
I decided to go the route of backing up, a little in time. I believe the, and i certainly could be wrong, but the cummins isx is good motor, but it is obvious the problem's are with the emission side. So therefore i recently purchased a truck with a cm570 pre egr, that had an inframe 5/2015, with all genuine cummins parts. the truck is averaging 7mpg. Time will tell how it goes.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DaveCampbell
(07-31-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  It's a pickle for sure... I'm poking around The Truck Paper right now looking at old iron... But what are you getting? I think of everything that could, can and will go wrong... I remember the 80's and 90's... You bought a truck, service it regularly, put air in the tires, check the hubs, hoses, coolant, etc., and you had a million mile virtually trouble free truck. This new stuff, like Rawze has said, 500,000 miles and throw it out, if you can even make it that far!

I'm thinking that in all reality, if you are in the market for a new or newer truck, a glider is probably the only way to go. And yes, fuel mileage can be a bit off compared to the 8 mpg many of us get with these de-mandated ISX motors. But, when you factor in downtime, and repairs, are you really that far ahead of the game? I figure in my three years of ownership of this 2008 ProStar, I have only gotten about two years work out of it and am well over $100,000+++ in the hole with repairs, lost revenue and downtime. That's allot of fuel. I think I am going to start looking at gliders if this truck of mine keeps giving me problems. I went all week with no hiccups, she is running like a swiss watch, just hoping this new Mexican reman turbo holds up, I'm going out there in a few minutes to check on her... I saw a bit of that slobber mist on her boots from the CAC the other day.

To top it off, freight sucks right now, only 7 loads this week, when I normally average 15+. Don't know what to do... Thanks for letting me vent.
Man I feel for ya. Not trying to be a smart a$$ but sounds like you would be time and money ahead to take a trip to South Ga. If I spent that kind of money and was still having problems like that Id probably be in jail. Good luck and hope you get her going.
replyreply
(08-01-2016 )axe Wrote:  
(07-31-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  It's a pickle for sure... I'm poking around The Truck Paper right now looking at old iron... But what are you getting? I think of everything that could, can and will go wrong... I remember the 80's and 90's... You bought a truck, service it regularly, put air in the tires, check the hubs, hoses, coolant, etc., and you had a million mile virtually trouble free truck. This new stuff, like Rawze has said, 500,000 miles and throw it out, if you can even make it that far!

I'm thinking that in all reality, if you are in the market for a new or newer truck, a glider is probably the only way to go. And yes, fuel mileage can be a bit off compared to the 8 mpg many of us get with these de-mandated ISX motors. But, when you factor in downtime, and repairs, are you really that far ahead of the game? I figure in my three years of ownership of this 2008 ProStar, I have only gotten about two years work out of it and am well over $100,000+++ in the hole with repairs, lost revenue and downtime. That's allot of fuel. I think I am going to start looking at gliders if this truck of mine keeps giving me problems. I went all week with no hiccups, she is running like a swiss watch, just hoping this new Mexican reman turbo holds up, I'm going out there in a few minutes to check on her... I saw a bit of that slobber mist on her boots from the CAC the other day.

To top it off, freight sucks right now, only 7 loads this week, when I normally average 15+. Don't know what to do... Thanks for letting me vent.
Man I feel for ya. Not trying to be a smart a$$ but sounds like you would be time and money ahead to take a trip to South Ga. If I spent that kind of money and was still having problems like that Id probably be in jail. Good luck and hope you get her going.

It has been an adventure, that is for sure. I tore her apart yesterday, Turbo side was dry, just a bit of oil left in the CAC that needed mopping up. It was not much, just a few drops. After doing that, I went for a ride, took apart again... All is dry in there, so fingers crossed. Will be watching the slobber, which I do have, I hope I did not get another bad turbo...

And yes, tried to get down to GA, we don't run down there unfortunately. We looked for a week and found nothing that worked, we are pretty specialized in what we do, tier 1 automotive, not much going on right now as most plants are down for change over... Now I need to buy my plate, I haven't even had the monies to pay for my 2290 yet... Waiting on dispatch right now. Going broke in MI...
replyreply
(08-01-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(08-01-2016 )axe Wrote:  

It has been an adventure, that is for sure. I tore her apart yesterday, Turbo side was dry, just a bit of oil left in the CAC that needed mopping up. It was not much, just a few drops. After doing that, I went for a ride, took apart again... All is dry in there, so fingers crossed. Will be watching the slobber, which I do have, I hope I did not get another bad turbo...

And yes, tried to get down to GA, we don't run down there unfortunately. We looked for a week and found nothing that worked, we are pretty specialized in what we do, tier 1 automotive, not much going on right now as most plants are down for change over... Now I need to buy my plate, I haven't even had the monies to pay for my 2290 yet... Waiting on dispatch right now. Going broke in MI...

Hang in there. It will come together for ya
replyreply
Axe, I see where you were going with your question. I had a new 2015 Cascadia, 515 hp DD15, 10 spd forced on me, honestly the old '07 8600 was a better driving truck.
Beside the fact that the FL is like driving a marshmallow, the steering wheel is totally uncomfortable to find a position for more than 5 minutes, the DD15 did the job running 30k loads. Fuel economy was good, 7.5 running 65. I ran a 2012 515 hp dd15, 10 spd. in a Prostar. I'll take the Prostar any day over the FL.

So far the 2015 has been trouble free, knock on wood.

Now that we have worked the bugs out of the 871, there is no way I would trade for a dd15.
Besides, I know some really good tuners now for the Cummins!

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
(08-01-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  Axe, I see where you were going with your question. I had a new 2015 Cascadia, 515 hp DD15, 10 spd forced on me, honestly the old '07 8600 was a better driving truck.
Beside the fact that the FL is like driving a marshmallow, the steering wheel is totally uncomfortable to find a position for more than 5 minutes, the DD15 did the job running 30k loads. Fuel economy was good, 7.5 running 65. I ran a 2012 515 hp dd15, 10 spd. in a Prostar. I'll take the Prostar any day over the FL.

So far the 2015 has been trouble free, knock on wood.

Now that we have worked the bugs out of the 871, there is no way I would trade for a dd15.
Besides, I know some really good tuners now for the Cummins!

Thanks for the input. I am going to put a head, cam, and all injectors on it next week. Im like you, I think I will stay were I am at.
replyreply
DD15, their fuel systems would start failing between 400 and 500k, injectors are a little over 1000 each. The common rail system, high pressure pump and the integrated fuel assembly can run you more than 10k, the aftertreatment is a unitized system 7k, not to mention the fact that if you get a dropped sleeve you are looking at a new engine, no fix. I've never in my life seen an engine run backwards, until DD15, quite an interesting sight. Detroit has no way of testing the injectors so they all get replaced at once, they actually have warning about leaky injectors causing the engine to run backwards.
replyreply
08-02-2016, (Subject: OTHER ENGINES ) 
Axe sent me a PM and asked me to chime is on my thoughts about the DD15, I'll stick with Cummins, anyway I think this one was a "runaway", here are some pics for you.

Fluted Camshafts with pressed Lobes

Snapped Piston Pins

Scuffed Piston And Liner

Give A Dog A Bone?

Last time I walked into the local Freightshaker dealer they had at least 8 trucks with blocks that had holes in them.

User's Signature: In the immortal words of Romeo as he gazed upon Juliet's eyes..."Wait...We Drank What?!"
replyreply
08-02-2016, (Subject: OTHER ENGINES ) 
A picture is worth a thousand words! That isn't just plain ugly, it's Fugly!
I know one case, brand new FL, 20 miles fresh off the lot, CEL,blown head gasket.
They're truly 500k mile throw away trucks.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.