Issues earlier CM870
02-19-2021, (Subject: Issues earlier CM870 ) 
Smile Issues earlier CM870
Wanted to get some opinions on what could be my issue. I have awful fuel mileage, surging, rough idle, but only when cold, motor stops pulling at 1700rpm, and my turbo always sounds like it’s building boost. I’ve done a lot of reading, and all my reading brings me back to one thing, turbo actuator. I have an older CM870, and I don’t think it will throw any codes for the actuator always being closed. I just replaced the CAC and don’t have any boost leaks. TIA.
replyreply
RE: Issues earlier CM870
Anyone? Rather not throwing money at an issue to guess and check.
replyreply
Well your correct in there's no monitr on the actuator of a 870...best you can do is hit it with 60 psi shop air and measure the travel and make sure it isn't binding.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hgilp
maybe this helps...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...3#pid61613

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
EGR problems can do this too but you would have a CEL.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Hgilp
02-20-2021, (Subject: Issues earlier CM870 ) 
The surging and rough idle also point to injector, fuel issues, fuel system issues, and fuel actuators. Id have a good look at all of it.
replyreply
Truck has been demandated, but not tuned yet. Haven’t looked into who to have tune yet. I’d also like recommendations on that, if anyone could give any input. I did buy the plate to check the injectors, and a dial indicator to check the timing actuators. I don’t want to put a lot of money into this engine. It already has almost 1.2 million miles on it, and I don’t plan to inframe it. I was quoted $24,000 at the low end for an inframe, and don’t trust any smaller local shops. They won’t even diagnose the issues I’m having now. I just can’t afford to run a truck getting 4.78mpg. Thanks for all the replies. I’ll update once I do more diagnosing.

I’ve never seen the VGT actuator move. I moved it by hand and it knocked rust off the turbo, I know that isn’t a good sign. Does the actuator hold the canes normally open, or normally closed? I know if it was normally closed, I’d always be making boost, and won’t get any fuel mileage.
replyreply
If it's demandated that means it's tuned. Who did it is the million dollar question. That could be your problem right there. Before you go any further you need to get a copy of that program over to Rawze for review.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
02-21-2021, (Subject: Issues earlier CM870 ) 
(02-20-2021 )Hgilp Wrote:  ...
Truck has been demandated, but not tuned yet.

Is there a check engine light on in the dash for the egr valve or other devices being unplugged then?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.