Got it torn down today.
02-19-2021, (Subject: Got it torn down today. ) 
Got it torn down today.
I want to double check my liner kit part number, my parts guy seems to be confused.

2010 cm871, cpl 2732, 79363055, 150mm liners, std bearings. Keeps telling me the liner kit pulls up for an 870, was given 4376175, no carbon scraper rings.

Any reason to run the kit with the scraper rings seeing that soot isn't an issue, or is either better than the other?

I was told it might take a few days to get because of the weather. Don't want to end up with the wrong parts. I had also asked about liner shims and was given another confused answer, so I'm going to ask you guys to give me the lowdown on where you've been getting yours from. I'm assuming cummins as well?

On the bright side, engine had no fretting or liner issues and other than the worn out head and garbage rings I expected to see, it was still in decent shape for it's age.

I'm already looking forward to how much better it will run when it's done. It had 927k on it when I tore it down, still running ok. Still kind of surprised a 12 year old 871 with over 26k hours on it still made it that far.

Also double checking my plan to break this in...planning on running it back and forth on I-16 fairly hard to include the talmadge bridge right before crossing into SC a few times, then dumping the oil (same oil that came out of it that has most of it's additives depleted by now), before running it a couple weeks locally, changing the oil again and resetting the overhead. Any issues?

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
02-19-2021, (Subject: Got it torn down today. ) 
RE: Got it torn down today.
All of the CPL2732's were CM870 engines converted into CM871's. You could use either of the mid-tier kits with them, but you need to confirm that the warranty will not be void on whatever kit you install.

I put in the newer anti-carbon ring liner mid-tier kit into mine. I also have a CPL2732 engine.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: dhirocz
02-20-2021, (Subject: Got it torn down today. ) 
Good info. I wasn't aware that the 2732's were converted from 870's, which might explain why it pulls up as an 870 when they look it up.

I figured the only significant difference between the two kits is one will be easier to install the pistons but I wanted to be sure. I have to ask, since there were no shims installed with my older style liners, I would assume the 'old style' piston kit (no carbon scraper rings) would also not have any as well. All of my liners were at .006" protrusion. I figure that I could get a rather thin set of cummins brass liner shims and cut it to get back down to .014, correct?

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
02-20-2021, (Subject: Got it torn down today. ) 
get the standard 0.20" hardened brass shims OEM from cummins. Cut counter-bored to make the liners 0.014" - 0.015".

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: dhirocz

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.