Clicking noise when cranking
03-05-2021, (Subject: Clicking noise when cranking ) 
Clicking noise when cranking
Not all the time, but at times it will on first morning crank.

I pulled the battery box cover and saw that I had one that was leaking, okay there's my problem. Bought a new battery, replaced, checked all other connections, buttoned everything up, same problem again next morning.

Pulled the cover, started looking more closely at the batteries and noticed another had a slight bulge on one end and at this point since it had been almost 2 year since I replaced the batteries I bought 3 more, now all new. Checked the connections at the starter, they were clean and tight, buttoned everything up and it started fine, no clicking for a few days and then Wednesday morning this week, started it up, same thing again, clicking during crank.

I'm hesitant to replace the starter as I can't confirm it's bad/going bad and maybe that's the problem? But I always know that click is generally a cause of low voltage coming out of the batteries. So if that is the case, what might I be missing? Or is it possible I have a starter going bad? I have owned this truck since 400k miles, currently at 645k and I have not changed the starter myself and have no record of the starter ever being changed.

Truck / Engine: 2014 Pete 388 / cm2350
replyreply
RE: Clicking noise when cranking
600k is about the typical mileage that a starter on the ISX goes bad for a highway truck. - Even if it does not fix anything, it would not be wasted money after that point if it is the most suspect component.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: kozakvod
I will second the starter, that is about when mine failed, the factory original. I installed a Mitsubishi high torque, that was roughly 400,000 miles ago, still going strong.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
Rawze isn't wrong on the 600k average I lost my starter at 607k
replyreply
03-06-2021, (Subject: Clicking noise when cranking ) 
Check all your ground and positive studs on the entire truck. Clean, reinstall and weather protectant spray them. Sounds like a possible bad connection somewhere. Plus it doesn't hurt to do this periodically. It'll save a lot of ghost electrical problems down the road too.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: amermextrucker , kozakvod
03-06-2021, (Subject: Clicking noise when cranking ) 
That,s usually first sympton is the " clicking " I had it on mine , it almost left me stranded at a rail yard . Replaced it with a new delco , paid $ 300 for it at CIT Kenworth. No issues since. Fires right up.
replyreply
03-07-2021, (Subject: Clicking noise when cranking ) 
(03-06-2021 )amermextrucker Wrote:  That,s usually first sympton is the " clicking " I had it on mine , it almost left me stranded at a rail yard . Replaced it with a new delco , paid $ 300 for it at CIT Kenworth. No issues since. Fires right up.

Yep, replacing the starter is tomorrow morning's project. Additionally, checking all grounding locations around the truck.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.