Is the warranty really worth it?
08-02-2016, (Subject: Is the warranty really worth it? ) 
Brick Is the warranty really worth it?
When I go to rebuild my engine I wont care about a warranty and this is why.

I had one of my friends with a 2250 spin his mains after a ceramic plunger failure. He had the warranty that specifically covered this issue and only got $5,000 towards a $34,000 engine. That hurt. Yes the engine is covered but only if it is sucking soot until its out of warranty.

Had another friend who got a mis diagnose at a dealer which led to spun mains. Yup....he shelled out about the same for a crate engine and now he is afraid to make the engine run good with a mandate removal because he will loose the warranty on his new engine. I would only have to wonder if the new engine will be covered the same way as his old engine.

Have another guy I know who bought a nearly brand new truck and ran 50k on it......before is world caved in on him. He spent 5 weeks out of 6 months in the shop trying to figure out what was going on with his truck. They just kept throwing parts at it and sending him out the door. Yes.....the work and parts were free but the down time wasnt. He posted on facebook if anyone wanted to buy his equipment because he was done....he just couldnt take the incompetence anymore. I got into contact with him and got it to a shop we work with. Guess what? He is making money again but has no warranty.....to that I say so what.

I have seen time and time again people go in for a warranty repair, sit in the drivers lounge for a day or so trying to get an open bay for their truck, and after the repair run down the highway for 60 miles just to have the same issue pop up again. Makes me believe there are a lot of parts changers in these dealerships who are afraid to go beyond what the computer tells them to do.

After reading Rawzes' story on what happened after he bought his truck and why he justified voiding his warranty I took a closer look at the situation and came to the conclusion......Rawze is right.

Think about it. To keep the warranty you will have to deal with so much down time that that in and of itself would warrant you opening a bank account and putting money away for your own "warranty". You can get your engine rebuild for almost half of what the dealerships are doing them for and you can have a way better engine for it.

What is the price of the warranty? In dollar values its the difference between having a dealer do it and someone like the guy Rawze is working with do it but wait...there is more. If you have the dealer do it because its warrantied then your engine will have to suck soot for 500k miles as well as get really crappy fuel mileage. Dont forget the 4 or 5 EGR valves and 2 EGR coolers you will have to replace. After the warranty is over what do you have left? An engine that has an equivalant of 800k miles on it. Just after warranty you will need rods and mains because of soot impregnation and dont forget about the soot buildup in all those little pieces in the head.

Frankly it makes more sense to get a rebuild without a warranty and just wing it rather than put up with the circus the dealerships are going to put you in. When its time I will see someone like Gearhead or the guy Rawze is working with. The money I save would pay out the money a warranty would have paid out anyway.....fact is I would prolly spend way less and have a better engine after 500k.
replyreply
08-02-2016, (Subject: Is the warranty really worth it? ) 
RE: Is the warranty really worth it?
I bought my pete with just shy of a million miles on it. Put a premium 2000 warranty on it. I have read alot of horror stories about them but non the less, I got it.... Truck was demandated.

At a million the motor started pushing oil from 2 broke rings. They rebuilt the bottom end, ended up covering $17,000..... head was ok but I did it anyways cause why not, they paid for all the tear down labor anyways.

6 months later my transmission blew and they paid 100% of it.

All I had to do was show that I did my oil changes by 25000km and it took 1 extra day for paperwork but honestly I had no issues at all.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
08-03-2016, (Subject: Is the warranty really worth it? ) 
I had my mandate free motor rebuilt at a reputable OEM dealer, so far I am on my second turbo under warranty. They have stood behind their work and parts, so I would not be to quick to dismiss a warranty under certain conditions.
replyreply
(08-03-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  I had my mandate free motor rebuilt at a reputable OEM dealer, so far I am on my second turbo under warranty. They have stood behind their work and parts, so I would not be to quick to dismiss a warranty under certain conditions.

Not being critical but I knew a guy who got an inframe kit for around $5,000 (Cummins all over the boxes) and had a shop put it in for around $4,000 on a CM870. Thats a lot less than going through a OEM shop. The money he saved would prolly grant him another engine rebuild and still be ahead of the game. If he bought the turbo then would the turbo not come with a warranty? He would just have to pay for the labor to install it.....or maybe that is something one could do on their own.
replyreply
Was in Peterbilt in Waukesha Wi and they had sign advertising $4000.00 for labor on inframe for ISX And twin turbo C15. Didn't say about price for parts.
replyreply
(08-03-2016 )preacherboy24 Wrote:  
(08-03-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  I had my mandate free motor rebuilt at a reputable OEM dealer, so far I am on my second turbo under warranty. They have stood behind their work and parts, so I would not be to quick to dismiss a warranty under certain conditions.

Not being critical but I knew a guy who got an inframe kit for around $5,000 (Cummins all over the boxes) and had a shop put it in for around $4,000 on a CM870. Thats a lot less than going through a OEM shop. The money he saved would prolly grant him another engine rebuild and still be ahead of the game. If he bought the turbo then would the turbo not come with a warranty? He would just have to pay for the labor to install it.....or maybe that is something one could do on their own.
$5000 thats only pistons, liners, bearings maybe? But about the head? Cams? I dont call this inframe. Thats just ENGINE REPAIR
Waterloo spent more money , but he replaced almost everything. Thats INFRAME.

User's Signature: Cascadia ISX15 CM2350
replyreply
(08-03-2016 )axe Wrote:  Was in Peterbilt in Waukesha Wi and they had sign advertising $4000.00 for labor on inframe for ISX And twin turbo C15. Didn't say about price for parts.
Thats interesting.....but if you have to buy the parts through them you can bet they make $$$$$$ there.
replyreply
replyreply
(08-03-2016 )simon999 Wrote:  
(08-03-2016 )preacherboy24 Wrote:  

$5000 thats only pistons, liners, bearings maybe? But about the head? Cams? I dont call this inframe. Thats just ENGINE REPAIR
Waterloo spent more money , but he replaced almost everything. Thats INFRAME.

Sure....add a new head ($3600) and your up to $8600 in parts. Shops can do the work for between $4-$5000. That is still and inframe for less than $14,000. Not bad since Ive been hearing inframes with warranty are about $24k. That is $10,000 worth of parts and labor given to the dealerships to fix any issues that may come up in the next 500k. You dont really have a warranty.....you have a maintenance fund that the dealership gets to keep the balance of at the end if the work was done right. Its just the way I look at it. Makes sense to me to keep it in my bank drawing interest and supporting shops mentioned in this forum rather than dealerships who just change parts and leave people in the cold.....(I know not all are like that)
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.