Is the warranty really worth it?
08-03-2016, (Subject: Is the warranty really worth it? ) 
RE: Is the warranty really worth it?
Maybe it's just me but I just had my engine inframed a few months back and all the warranty I got was 12 months or 100k. And after only 600k on my '10 cm871 I'm seriously considering taking care of the problem even if I loose the warranty
replyreply
I got a phone call today from someone I know that does a lot of engine work. they said they have a CM2350 with a cracked piston with 260~k miles on it. they pulled the bottom end apart several of the piston cooling jets were crooked and bent, and the rods were even wearing against some of them it was so bad. That engine only had a 250k warranty,... Of course the maker is telling them their warranty is out so tough luck!>

He has 4 CM2250's in his shop at the moment as well,... 2 of them with dropped liners on number 5 or 6. and 2 more with soot packing and now failed with cracked pistons.

He also has a CM871 with cracked piston with 600k miles on it (bad spray pattern on injector).

========

All of these trucks are factory stock trucks that have been eaten alive by the soot monster and/or some unpredictable bad workmanship.

Point being,... Warranty or not,.. when you have a bad day,.. you have a bad day. No one can predict it.

Some people get lucky with a warranty claim,.. but many more do not. the odds are stacked against you most of the time.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
(08-03-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  I got a phone call today from someone I know that does a lot of engine work. they said they have a CM2350 with a cracked piston with 260~k miles on it. they pulled the bottom end apart several of the piston cooling jets were crooked and bent, and the rods were even wearing against some of them it was so bad. That engine only had a 250k warranty,... Of course the maker is telling them their warranty is out so tough luck!>

He has 4 CM2250's in his shop at the moment as well,... 2 of them with dropped liners on number 5 or 6. and 2 more with soot packing and now failed with cracked pistons.

He also has a CM871 with cracked piston with 600k miles on it (bad spray pattern on injector).

========

All of these trucks are factory stock trucks that have been eaten alive by the soot monster and/or some unpredictable bad workmanship.

Point being,... Warranty or not,.. when you have a bad day,.. you have a bad day. No one can predict it.

Some people get lucky with a warranty claim,.. but many more do not. the odds are stacked against you most of the time.

Well that's just it.. now days were all screwed anyways! for every guy like me who had luck, there's 5 who's watranny was denied.

A coworker has a 2014 that was using shi#t tonnes of oil. 27L he told cummins. They told him that's within spec so he asked what the max allowance was and was told 32L.

He went to another city and told them it was using 36L so they tore it down and found 2 broken rings!

Those shi#t bags would have had him thinking a destroyed engine was normal. but his warranty was ending in 1 month, unfortunately he had to lie in order to get it covered.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
08-04-2016, (Subject: Is the warranty really worth it? ) 
There are only 2 ways to get more than about 600k out of an EGR motor reliably in hopes of trying to reach the 1 million mark with one ...

A) Keep after the emissions system(s) yourself instead of waiting around and going to shop every 3 days for yet another "warranty claim" while going broke because you can't haul freight due to the never ending "CEL" lights. Whatever you do though,.. PUT A BYPASS OIL FILTER ON TO KEEP THE SOOT OUT OF THE OIL!!!. Buy Insite and do regular maintenance and a forced regen whenever it needs it and clean/replace sensors, Doser, SCR injectors regularly, etc.

OR...

B) Ehemm,.. Kill the mandate (if you live in a country that allows such things) voiding all warranties and make the crooked dealer and OEM network of shops hate you for it because they can no longer rip you off.

=========

Either way, it looks to me that grabbing a wrench and empowering yourself is the answer no matter how you look at it, warranty or not.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I myself have been thinking about inframe in the near future. My 09 Prostar has 750,000 miles on it and I took care of emission problems about 150,000 miles ago. My situation is that i live in California and Rawze, MrHags, Gearhead, Unilevers are all quite a distance away. Anyone know of someone in this state that does a good job like these gentleman mentioned. I know DR ISX is in Vegas, when the time comes i guess i can PM him and see what he charges for labor.
replyreply
There are certainly no guarantees when it comes to commercial trucks. I'm of the opinion that warranties are worthless on these engines, but a lot of guys wrap themselves up in that warranty certificate like a warm security blanket. It rocks their safe little world when Cummins denies their claims and their on the hook for tens of thousands of dollars.
I've personally given out Rawze and Gearheads contact info to a couple dozen guys with new 2350's. I doubt they've heard from any of them. They all want to wait until after the warranty period is over and the problems begin, then they'll deal with it. Ignorantly underestimating the havoc the soot, pressure and heat will wreak on their engine by then.
replyreply
08-05-2016, (Subject: Is the warranty really worth it? ) 
(08-04-2016 )Texasdude74 Wrote:  There are certainly no guarantees when it comes to commercial trucks. I'm of the opinion that warranties are worthless on these engines, but a lot of guys wrap themselves up in that warranty certificate like a warm security blanket. It rocks their safe little world when Cummins denies their claims and their on the hook for tens of thousands of dollars.
I've personally given out Rawze and Gearheads contact info to a couple dozen guys with new 2350's. I doubt they've heard from any of them. They all want to wait until after the warranty period is over and the problems begin, then they'll deal with it. Ignorantly underestimating the havoc the soot, pressure and heat will wreak on their engine by then.

Its a great deal for the manufactures. You pay up front for most if not all the future work they will do to your engine and if for some reason you get a great engine that doesnt eat the overpayment you made for the engine they get to apply your overage to another truck. Usually there is more money in the bank than going out for parts and labor.

I dont think its dishonest to do this but these engine manufacturers knew up front they were going to replace parts and they were determined to make sure they had that covered. That being said because they seem to be judge and jury on whether or not they will cover something makes it a little self serving. The older engines had a lower failure rate but with these new engines you have to play the game different.....the way Rawze is playing it.

Wrapping yourself around the idea the warranty will cover you is a bad business model. Like my story above....a guy bought a specific warranty for a specific problem that Cummins should have covered....and did until they saw how bad the problem was. That specific warranty only covered $5000 of a $34,000 specific problem. Yup....they made out like a bandit and the warranty was on Cummoins' terms. Protect yourself and do what you have to do to keep your own engine running. Warranty does little to do this.
replyreply
08-05-2016, (Subject: Is the warranty really worth it? ) 
The ESC warranty is basically paying for an inframe upfront. A few people I know with 2016 550's and 600's in Pete 389's were told the 500k mile ESC with all the riders: injectors, turbo, fuel pump and after treatment was $17k. Shows how much faith Cummins has in these engines.
I've heard that Cummins was going to offer a 650k mile ESC warranty on the 2017 engines. If true, I'm sure it will be over $20k with all the riders.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.