Flywheels, OEM or aftermarket
03-03-2021, (Subject: Flywheels, OEM or aftermarket ) 
Flywheels, OEM or aftermarket
Ok let me start by saying I hate aftermarket parts, I really do, but I am in the middle of a flywheel housing gasket job and I am going to replace my flywheel. A new OEM cummins flywheel is $1330.00, I can get an aftermarket knock off for about $300.

What do you guys think? Any experience with aftermarket flywheels?

Thanks

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
RE: Flywheels, OEM or aftermarket
Id say it depends on who made the aftermarket. I personally cant see an oem chunk of machined steel being $1000 higher quality than an aftermarket chunk of machined steel. Maybe check out google reviews of the aftermarket wheel
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
If you're concerned about quality of the steel between OEM and aftermarket, you could always go to salvage yard and pick one out if a low mileage wreck and have it machined. Flywheels last a loooooong time. I've seen guys use them for millions of miles as long as the starter teeth stay good.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , Waterloo
(03-03-2021 )JMBT Wrote:  Ok let me start by saying I hate aftermarket parts, I really do, but I am in the middle of a flywheel housing gasket job and I am going to replace my flywheel. A new OEM cummins flywheel is $1330.00, I can get an aftermarket knock off for about $300.

What do you guys think? Any experience with aftermarket flywheels?

Thanks

I had mine faced and re-installed.

Are the teeth that engage the starter messed up/worn out?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Assuming you're original flywheel is not resurfaceable and can be reused. I would look at the price difference as $1,030.00 insurance policy that you don't have to take it all back apart again. Remember every time you drop and reinstall a trans you're putting that rear structure seal at risk. Not to mention a possible tow bill that could far exceed your cost savings if it turns out the teeth on that aftermarket one are made out of butter ;)

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
Well I got the transmission out last night. I haven’t pulled the clutch and flywheel yet, but the teeth on the flywheel look fine from what I can see. I was surprised that at 810,000 miles the wear indicator on the clutch still shows it has about 3/4 of its linings left.

Would it be crazy to consider reusing a clutch with that many miles?

Once I get the flywheel out I’ll see how bad it looks, maybe just resurface and reinstall.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
If the teeth are fine feel the surface and see if it needs machined, i think it costs about 100 bucks to turn one. Yes, U need to replace that clutch. If u wanna save some $ check out the alliance brand easy pedal from the freightshaker dealer.
replyreply
At that many miles even if the plates looks good your throwout bearing will undoubtedly come apart a week later in the middle of rush hour houston traffic or something.
replyreply
smorgan87, yeah that IS the kind of luck I have!

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.