Clutch housing, stress cracks or mfg. defects??
03-03-2021, (Subject: Clutch housing, stress cracks or mfg. defects?? ) 
Clutch housing, stress cracks or mfg. defects??
Hello all I got my transmission out the other day. It was covered in 810,000 miles worth of throwout bearing grease. When I got it all cleaned up today I noticed what looks like small cracks in various places all over the inner bell. (see pics)

I am looking for your opinions as to whether they are stress cracks or just manufacturing defects in the cast aluminum.

Thanks, JMBT

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
03-04-2021, (Subject: Clutch housing, stress cracks or mfg. defects?? ) 
RE: Clutch housing, stress cracks or mfg. defects??
(03-03-2021 )JMBT Wrote:  Hello all I got my transmission out the other day. It was covered in 810,000 miles worth of throwout bearing grease. When I got it all cleaned up today I noticed what looks like small cracks in various places all over the inner bell. (see pics)

I am looking for your opinions as to whether they are stress cracks or just manufacturing defects in the cast aluminum.

Thanks, JMBT

Nothing to worry about. You'll those marks in a brand new housing. Most of them look like small imperfections from the casting method. I don't ever recall seeing one fail unless somethings gone wrong - clutch flying to bits from abuse, loose bolts etc.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , Signature620 , Rawze
03-04-2021, (Subject: Clutch housing, stress cracks or mfg. defects?? ) 
RE: Clutch housing, stress cracks or mfg. defects??
Aussie Steve has it right ...
A lot of that looks like the typical crazing of an aluminum or cast-iron part that cooled too rapidly, or in an uneven fashion. - It seems to be fairly common.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.