2007 International 9200i CM870
03-05-2021, (Subject: 2007 International 9200i CM870 ) 
2007 International 9200i CM870
Hello all, I’m new here and scoured the forum for a bit before posting. I bought a truck that I have slowly been getting road ready. The gentleman I bought the truck from had acquired the truck from another guy and had lost interest. The motor supposedly had been overhauled at 1 million, the truck has 209k on dash now, the shop that did work moved locations and apparently lost there files.... The current problem is that the coolant has fuel in it and is slowly coming out overflow. The gentleman I bought it from said it happened out on road and was drove back to shop but not dug into further. The truck starts and runs great, has great power through all gears and all works as should. I have a friend who works at international and works on isxs a lot and claims that they would just put a head on it. I know from research and talking with my friends at international that the problem is most likely either injector cups, or a cracked head or both. My question here is what are the proper steps to properly diagnose the issue before I have to buy a head and the associated parts. I am aware of the TSB that Cummins put out for the updated injector Orings for my engine, what’s the luck on those in this instance? I do have quickserve and insite. Thanks in advance, Matt.
replyreply
RE: 2007 International 9200i CM870
First rule of thumb ... certified OEM repair shops are NOT likely going to fix it worth a damn!.. all while charging you top dollar to half-arsse the whole thing!. - The odds are heavily against you!

Listening to their advice blindly is just as bad.

=============

* START by sending a coolant sample off to a lab. Is it only fuel? - or oil, etc. too?

* Drop the pan and pressurize the coolant system up to 20 psi and let it sit over night.... Find out if coolant is getting into the engine somewhere and find out where --- BEFORE pulling the head off it.

* Is fuel also getting into the oil?.. again ... send sample off to a lab. maybe it reveals something.

(03-05-2021 )Mattmiller90 Wrote:  ...
The motor supposedly had been overhauled at 1 million
.... The current problem is that the coolant has fuel in it and is slowly coming out overflow.

Find out where the head came from. What does the stamped info say on the side of the head? ...
./uploads/202103/post_2_1614921894_428376e7639ec2752a8bd2998864c905.jpg

just because someone inframed it, does not mean it was done right.

and...

is it deleted? -- if so, getting the program copied out of the ecm and e-mailed to me so that it can be reviewed is your next move. Bad delete programming cracks heads, frets liners and causes all kinds of damage. For all you know, someone could have had it deleted with a bad program and it tore engine up, then sold it.

A 2007 could be a CM871 or a CM870 ... what is the engine ser#?... so that we are all on the same page. Maybe some more details, history, etc.?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I have gathered some information but it is a lot. Is there a good way to contact you to explain what I have?
replyreply
(03-05-2021 )Mattmiller90 Wrote:  I have gathered some information but it is a lot. Is there a good way to contact you to explain what I have?

PM'd you my number...

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
You'll have to keep us updated on your situation Mattmiller90.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
03-06-2021, (Subject: 2007 International 9200i CM870 ) 
After talking to him on the phone, i think he has a mess on his hands.

* engine inframed by unknown quality.. highly doubtful it was counter-bored at all. Price was really cheap.

* Old head was sent to a shop and re-used. This is the biggest mistake.

* It is likely going to need an inframe again, pulled all apart + counter-boring, etc.. to get it right at this point from what the conversation lead to.

* He needs to contemplate if he wants to drop that kind of money in it to get it right. He goes thru N.J. and in a couple years, CM870 might not even be allowed as it is egr-only. - I know in Cali, that truck is not allowed any more. - Just something to think about for the future vs. dropping $20-30k into it b y the time you go thru it all.

* ECM programming/delette was done with unknown quality... Likely bad programming .. and it highl suspect as to why the engine failed the first time... and is highly suspect why it might have cracked the old re-used head too...who knows though without a review of what he has in there.

==========

He did get the truck really cheap though... like less than $4,000 kinda cheap. - Makes me think the seller knew it needed an other overhaul possibly?. He could drop some money in it and make it into a good truck again ... he got it cheap enough to do this ... but the question is if he wants to invest this into it .. and getting the money up for doing so + cover down-time expenses would be another issue all in its own.

replyreply
03-06-2021, (Subject: 2007 International 9200i CM870 ) 
Well if you want to sell it I might be interested.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.