Intermitent Derate alarm
03-10-2021, (Subject: Intermitent Derate alarm ) 
Intermitent Derate alarm
2014 Cummins ISX 15.

Engine was replaced at 450k, truck now has 560k. About 8k ago I pulled off the dpf and doc and had them cooked/cleaned. All new sensors on the dpf filter, temp and pressure. Also just replaced the def filter. I also pressure tested the coolant system for 24 hours and almost 0 pressure loss. I was try to see if the egr cooler was leaking.

I'm getting intermitent derate in 2 hours, then check engine, then goes off. Then back on derate in 3 hours, check engine then off again. This started after the def filter was changed, not sure if that had anything to do with it or not.

Also getting dpf overheat alarms.

The driver just had speedco put a computer on it and was told there is a code for the egr cooler and a code for the turbo.

Looking for help.

Thanks,

Brian
replyreply
03-10-2021, (Subject: Intermitent Derate alarm ) 
RE: Intermitent Derate alarm
get the exact list of cummins fault codes, both active and in-active instead of someone's interpretations... otherwise, it could be anything.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: BDiscovery
03-15-2021, (Subject: Intermitent Derate alarm ) 
Ok got the codes.

Active:
Aftertreatment 1 purge air actuator
SPN 3490-FMI 7

Inactive:
Undefined
SPN 5742- FMI 16- inactive

EGR
SPN3058 FMI-16- inactive

Just had a yard mechanic replace the DEF filter, maybe he didn't install it correctly? These guys on the road keep calling it a turbo problem.

I appreciate any help.
replyreply
(03-15-2021 )BDiscovery Wrote:  Just had a yard mechanic replace the DEF filter, maybe he didn't install it correctly? These guys on the road keep calling it a turbo problem.

I appreciate any help.

Active: SPN 3490-FMI7 == cummins fault code 3225 ...
Aftertreatment Purge Air Actuator - Mechanical System Not Responding or Out of Adjustment.A stuck closed after-treatment purge air actuator has been detected.

Inactive: SPN 5742-FMI16 == cummins fault code 4163 ...
Aftertreatment Diesel Particulate Filter Temperature Sensor Module - Data Valid But Above Normal Operating Range - Moderately Severe Level

Inactive: SPN3058-FMI16 == cummins code 3383 ...
Engine Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System - Data Valid But Above Normal Operating Range - Moderately Severe Level

================
--- THOSE CODES ARE NOT ASSOCIATED WITH A TURBO PROBLEM!.,.. THAT IS WHAT IDIOT MECHANICS WILL TYPICALLY SAY BECAUSE IT IS AN EXPENSIVE COMPONENT AND EASY TO SOCK YOU WITH A BIG FAT REPAIR BILL!!!-- RUN LIKE HE#LL AWAY FROM THOSE CLOWNS!
================

cummins fault code 3225 ...

* The DOSER injector (commonly known as the 7th injector by some people) fuel line has a purge-air actuator to blow out fuel when it is not in use. The Actuator for the purge-air actuator (i think its part# 3686371, not sure tho) is stuck closed... or a wiring problem of one sort or another. This actuator is on the drivers side of the engine behind the fuel system.

other possible causes:
* Possible causes of this fault code include:
* A stuck closed aftertreatment purge air actuator
* Missing or leaking air supply line to the aftertreatment purge air actuator
* Missing or leaking air supply line from the aftertreatment purge air actuator to the shutoff valve manifold.
* Bad doser injector.

-- ALSO -- once this fault becomes active, the regen system will stop working and the exhaust system will start clogging up.

==========

cummins fault code 4163 ...

Bad temp sensor at the , or possibly excess exhaust gasses going intot he exhaust system due to failed (or switched off) EGR system.

============

cummins code 3383 ...

EGR gas flow is higher than commanded. Take your pick ...

* Stuck or bad EGR valve.
* Bad EGR delta-P sensor.
* Bad wiring to Delta-P sensor.
* clogged up egr piping, making for abnormal readings of sensors.

--- ITS CALLED an EGR -Tune-UP!... Pull the whole system apart and replace the Delta-P, the IMAP, cleand, inspect, and test the EGR valve, piping, etc.etc.etc.
ALSO, WATCH my EGR-tune-up series on youtube and do what is shown to your model engine.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Thanks for the response Rawze!

Active: SPN 3490-FMI7 == cummins falut code 3225 ...
Aftertreatment Purge Air Actuator - Mechanical System Not Responding or Out of Adjustment

How urgent it this? Can we wait until the trip is over? 1500 or so miles fully loaded.
replyreply
(03-15-2021 )BDiscovery Wrote:  Thanks for the response Rawze!

Active: SPN 3490-FMI7 == cummins falut code 3225 ...
Aftertreatment Purge Air Actuator - Mechanical System Not Responding or Out of Adjustment

How urgent it this? Can we wait until the trip is over? 1500 or so miles fully loaded.

it will not regen until it is fixed... this means it will eventually derate,.. then shut down,.. then end up at the end of a tow-hook. It could take a few days, or it could be in as few as 250 miles... depends on how healthy/dirty the dpf was when it got the alarm. The proper thing to do would be to tear into it and fix it.

-- Overall,.. your truck/engine sounds to me like it has been severely neglected to get it to the state that it is in. - It sounds like to me that no one is doing any preventive maintenance until all h#ell starts to break. YOU cannot run a trucking business this way.. REGULAR tune-up work to the EGR and after-treatment systems needs to happen LONG BEFORE any check engine lights come on... every couple months or so. - This is why you have so many issues and there is not ANY MECHANIC that is going to do these things for you, especially the morons who you have been taking it to so far it looks like.

LEARN to work on them yourself and set a schedule into your business plan to do these things as part of your operations. That, or end up penny-less and out of business trying to rely on a broken system of under-educated truck repair shops and drivers who could care less.

replyreply
Thanks again for the response. I'm sure you are right, I bought this truck about a year ago and it's been a money pit. I really doubt any PMs to the emissions system have been done. Seems like every time a "certified mechanic" fixes it I have to follow up and fix it again. I had people telling me to delete it and that is what let me to your site. I watched your egr tune up videos and decided not to delete the truck rather fix and or maintain the emissions system.

I cooked the dpf and doc, pulled the sensors and checked for soot and changed the doser injector. Hardly any soot on the sensor and no indications of a leaking egr cooler. I was going to replace the sensors and clean all the egr parts on the next trip, may have bit me in the ass.

Thanks again for all the advice and feedback.

Brian
replyreply
(03-15-2021 )BDiscovery Wrote:  Thanks again for the response. I'm sure you are right, I bought this truck about a year ago and it's been a money pit. I really doubt any PMs to the emissions system have been done. Seems like every time a "certified mechanic" fixes it I have to follow up and fix it again. I had people telling me to delete it and that is what let me to your site. I watched your egr tune up videos and decided not to delete the truck rather fix and or maintain the emissions system.

I cooked the dpf and doc, pulled the sensors and checked for soot and changed the doser injector. Hardly any soot on the sensor and no indications of a leaking egr cooler. I was going to replace the sensors and clean all the egr parts on the next trip, may have bit me in the ass.

Brian

Do you have an Inline reader and Insite software? Because I believe you need both to reset the system after cleaning those cans. The kits are pretty inexpensive on eBay... Most all of us here use these, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cummins-INLINE-...Swz0JgOcDs

You can find them here in the states too, but usually a higher price, but you get them sooner. You will need one no matter what if you are running Cummins products.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
(03-15-2021 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(03-15-2021 )BDiscovery Wrote:  Thanks again for the response. I'm sure you are right, I bought this truck about a year ago and it's been a money pit. I really doubt any PMs to the emissions system have been done. Seems like every time a "certified mechanic" fixes it I have to follow up and fix it again. I had people telling me to delete it and that is what let me to your site. I watched your egr tune up videos and decided not to delete the truck rather fix and or maintain the emissions system.

Brian

Do you have an Inline reader and Insite software? Because I believe you need both to reset the system after cleaning those cans. The kits are pretty inexpensive on eBay... Most all of us here use these, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cummins-INLINE-...Swz0JgOcDs

You can find them here in the states too, but usually a higher price, but you get them sooner. You will need one no matter what if you are running Cummins products.

Actually thanks to a previous post from you I already have one on the way!
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.