Buying a truck I’m i doing it right?
03-13-2021, (Subject: Buying a truck I’m i doing it right? ) 
Buying a truck I’m i doing it right?
Hi everyone
I’m looking to make the leap from company to owner/op. I got a nice kenworth t800 2014 Tri axle ex logger truck I’m looking at. I’m front mount a hiab crane on the truck. The chassis has almost 600,000 km or 372,000 miles but 450,000 km on a rebuild. The trany is rebuild by Eaton last month. Did a blow by test on the truck and the dealer ship says it’s an 9.5 out of 18 said it’s a solid pass. Got a pre dot inspection done and got a list back. There is a rear structure leaking oil which I got a quote on. So with the repairs and inspections the truck still at a good deal. The truck it self is 20,000 front 69,000 rear and double frame with a Cummins. Just wondering is there anything else I can do and are the reports telling me anything about the truck? I can put up pictures up in couple hours of the engine the trucks about 5 hours drive
Thanks in advance
- Left side mirror lamp out
- Check engine light on ( they said they repair it before they give it to me)
- Rear bunk lights not working
- Driving/fog lights not working
- 1st Y-beam X-member cracked at right side Y-beam mount
- Forward and Middle Y-beam bushings worn at diff mounts
- Forward and Middle Y-beam diff mount worn out
- Rear diff Y-beam bushings worn at X-member
- Middle diff right side lower shock loose
- Rear diff right side backing plate missing
- Park brake valve between forward and middle diff leaking.
replyreply
RE: Buying a truck I’m i doing it right?
- How many hours on engine?

- Overhead valve adjustment is due.

- Replace the guts in the fuel pump within the next 6 months or so.

- What is the rear axle ratio?.

- Expected weights you are going to be hauling?

- Is it de-mandated (deleted), and if so ... by Who? ... EGR tune-up + emissions system component tune-up work is likely over-due otherwise.

NOTE: rear structure leaking on only that many miles shows clear signs that engine has been tortured/abused by the driver. - Hence the new clutch as well. That is quite the risky buy when considering this if you ask me. The truck and engine sounds like it has been beaten/abused to he#ll and beyond its whole life from your descriptions so far.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Log trucks live a very tortured life. The one you mention is right at the years and mileage that all the best use is gone out of one.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
As tree said, that poor truck has already lived its best years and has had the good beaten right out of it. What is your intended use for it? Logging? Hwy? Local?
replyreply
Engine hours are at 12,800

It’s all attached and still working. It’s at a kenworth dealership

They have more trucks. I’m on route so I might as well look at the others
I attached the build sheet for the transmission

It’s anything from lumber/roofing supply/ concrete pipes. The company said tandem would of been fine so usually I should t exceed 25,000 pounds

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/202103/post_5456_1615647564_5c00a6bfb4296645f35d9ee02802f65d.png
replyreply
(03-13-2021 )smorgan87 Wrote:  As tree said, that poor truck has already lived its best years and has had the good beaten right out of it. What is your intended use for it? Logging? Hwy? Local?

I will be putting front mounting a crane on it 477 hiab with a 20ft deck and it’s local work 8 hours max if that. The trucks mostly idle at 1100 max. It’s not uncommon to see older trucks with 350,000 km and 30,000 hours
replyreply
Thats alot for a logging truck .
If you don't need a tridrive don't but one .
Worse fuel mileage and takes alot more to turn
Thats a really heavy truck to run light .

User's Signature: The missing link
replyreply
(03-13-2021 )the missing link Wrote:  Thats alot for a logging truck .
If you don't need a tridrive don't but one .
Worse fuel mileage and takes alot more to turn
Thats a really heavy truck to run light .

The crane I got only fit on a Tri axle. I got it for a better price then I would of got a lighter crane on a tandem plus I can do more crane work. I might not be even loaded on some days.
replyreply
I’m getting a wicked deal on the truck with warranty on the major parts for 2 years renewable. It fell into there warranty after the rear is sealed up. The warranty does take away a lot of the worry but what do you guys think?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.