CM 870 worth anything?
03-16-2021, (Subject: CM 870 worth anything? ) 
CM 870 worth anything?
I have a 2005 International with a 565 CM870 that had a cam lobe failure. The engine still runs, but I'm trying to decide what to do with it. A few shops I talked to thought this engine has some value still since it's a higher horsepower model. It has a newer turbo and a new oil pan on it and was demandated has been tuned to the stock 565 by a reputable tuner from this site. Does anyone know if it actually does have any value?
Thanks.
replyreply
RE: CM 870 worth anything?
cam replacement is cheap compared to new engine.

Question is why it failed to begin with?.. which points to a million+ miles use .. or some sort of neglect/abuse?.

- It is far cheaper to maintain a CM870 long term than it is to maintain an X15 if that is what your asking.

If you have a CM870 that has been inframed and built to last a million miles (it can be done properly), and you have a brand spanking new X15 (or anything common rail like a CM2250 or newer), then compare their million mile operating costs... the CM870 wins. This is because the 870 has a far lower long term operating cost, and that ALL of the common rail engines have no better fuel or other efficiencies significant enough to make up for more expensive, more frequently needed replacement parts. This is even before considering emissions system costs/differences.

That is what i see any ways,. - The truck on the other hand may be a different story depending on how well it might have been cared for or neglected.

- Someone must additionally consider that the communist state of crawlit-fornia will not allow 870's to run there. This is the only downside I see to them at the moment.

just my own thoughts any ways.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: PuroCumminsPower
Thanks for the info Rawze. The truck has just under 300k on it, I'm not really sure why the cam lobe failed. I just recently purchased the truck so I don't really know it's history. I certainly would like to just fix the cam but the engine uses a little water and it leaks some oil from under the back of the head so I thought about a complete in frame. At $24,000 I'm not sure if it's economical for me. The truck is a heavy dump truck that only gets about 5,000 miles a year on it. I'm considering putting another engine in just because the parts aren't available right now to fix this one according to the shops.
replyreply
I also have a big CPL 870. The truck is in rough shape so I thought about making it into a sled puller until Rawze told me it would probably only last 3 or 4 runs at that high of horsepower before it blew apart. So now I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with mine either.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
03-18-2021, (Subject: CM 870 worth anything? ) 
After checking around myself I found an updated cam and rockers so I'm going to put it in. Thanks Rawze for the great technical info on these engines. You have saved a lot of guys a lot of money with this site!
replyreply
03-18-2021, (Subject: CM 870 worth anything? ) 
from a techs view I love the ole 870's they are reliable and pretty tough,
great engines if properly taken care of
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.