Retirement not working
03-21-2021, (Subject: Retirement not working ) 
RE: Retirement not working
OK, I do appreciate the comments and suggestions as to my course of action. I had to take today off from blasting the frame. That has proven to be quite a tiring task. Hood pin has been replaced, how about a hint on adjusting it correctly? The new drag link arrived Friday. I plan on finding a windscreen from a boneyard.
My days of needing to always win the race to the top of the hill are long over. I`m thinking that seeing how good of a MPG I can achieve might be quite an interesting goal. My grandaughter comments that I drive like an old man. I tell her that slow and steady wins the race.
I`m washing the motor today so it will be clean on top when he pulls the cover. I take back my positive comments about farmers taking care of things. I don`t think he ever washed it.
Checking the idler pully is on next weeks list. I have plenty of time to get the list done and enough money in the budget for anything other than a major repair and if needed, have the resources at my disposal to deal with it. But so far, I haven`t purchased a clunker and that keeps my mood in a positive frame.
I`m hoping this drag link and tie rod end are not going to be a worst case scenario. I`ve watched several videos on the job being done and it appears that beating on it a lot will do the removal. Sure seems there ought to be a better way. I don`t mind admitting to a lack of experience with repair, but I have worked on mechanical things most of my life, just not a semi. On a car, I would use a pickle fork.
The one thing I have on my side is time. I haven`t found a bay to rent, so everything is being done outside in my driveway. I`ve checked with my neighbors and they have no problem with the truck being here. But the weather is not cooperating all that well in Nebraska. We have had several days in the sixties and that has helped.
So keep the ideas coming.....I`ve watched a ton of Rawze`s videos, ever since I started dickering on this particular truck. I`ve learned a lot so far. A question comes to mind though......Where do I hook the by pass filter Feed and return to? I`ve seen a couple of videos, but they were not unit specific for a Cummins. OK, time to go out and putter with it.
replyreply
If you're doing one tie rod end, might as well do both, and I'd check with your dealer - usually the whole tie rod assembly is available for not much more than the cost of two tie rod ends. Then you don't have to fight rust or worn out pinch bolts that have been overtorqued however many times.

In my experience, they don't seize like an automotive one that you need a pickle fork. Just a nut backed out, and a nice heavy hit all of mine have popped right out.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , JimT , Waterloo
(03-21-2021 )Nostalgic Wrote:  In my experience, they don't seize like an automotive one that you need a pickle fork. Just a nut backed out, and a nice heavy hit all of mine have popped right out.

Yep, the one I did was easier than I thought it was gonna be.

You won't need a bypass oil filter if you plan to demandate it.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
Definitely do both tires rod ends. They're cheap. KW wanted close to $600 for the complete rod and ends for my t660. My international was dirt cheap $230 measure and bolt on complete out the door. Its worth a check on price. But doing tie rod ends is straight forward. Just smack the tie rod right behind the slot at the threads with a hammer and that opens the ends up slightly for unscrewing the ends. I also antiseize the new threads so I can adjust the tie rod easier once it's on the truck.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , JimT
03-22-2021, (Subject: Retirement not working ) 
Chamberpains, thanks for the suggestion. I just talked to my local KW parts guy and I am on my way to pick up the complete assembly for $245 plus tax. I agree that changing them both in one episode is better than doing one now and the other some time in the future. This way I doubt I`ll ever have to touch them again.
That`s why i`m here.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Rawze , Chamberpains , amermextrucker

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.