Need help deciding between three different truck models
03-21-2021, (Subject: Need help deciding between three different truck models ) 
RE: Need help deciding between three different truck models
The lease roads in south Texas are nowhere near as bad as the ones I would run on in ND and CO.I see a lot of Crapcadias hauling sand out here and all sorts of highway trucks.What I really want is a good truck that I can start out with and if the oilfield goes to crap I can get a skateboard and haul freight with or something else so a kind of in between truck.South Texas lease roads don’t get muddy as hell like North Dakota lease roads so getting stuck is highly unlikely.
replyreply
(03-20-2021 )Redland1 Wrote:  
(03-20-2021 )hhow55 Wrote:  I wouldn't recommend the t660 or the pro star, running the oilfield's.

How about this star car? https://mhc.com/trucks/used/2009/western...f/i0480983

18 speed 4.56 gears.

4.56 ratio to high. 3.70 ideal

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(03-21-2021 )hhow55 Wrote:  
(03-20-2021 )Redland1 Wrote:  [quote='hhow55' pid='63316' dateline='1616264015']
I wouldn't recommend the t660 or the pro star, running the oilfield's.

How about this star car? https://mhc.com/trucks/used/2009/western...f/i0480983

18 speed 4.56 gears.

Imo this is a good match to stay above 1500 rpm. I have an offroad truck with an X15 24.5 rubber 18sp 4.10 and it lands around 1350/1400 when you shift unless you split every single gear. If I could go back in time I would have spec'd it with something even lower than 4.10

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
You should buy my truck... I am tired of the rat race out here, 31 years, and the ELD killed it for me... Nothing wrong with this truck, and she has what you need right now... She has an OEM 871 600hp motor under the hood, a locker, wet kit and steerable lift axle... Pretty much virgin rubber, around 4 months old, Michelin steers and Dayton drives, new Dayton tires on lift axle, less than say 50,000 miles on all them, if that... The motor is broken in, around 100,000 + on the in frame at Rawze's, we replaced just about everything under the hood, injectors, a 6 pack of new ones, not remans, 2 new cams, Jake is STRONG, new reman Haldex air compressor, new power steering pump and power steering coolant lines, new coolant lines on the air cooled transmission, YTS Turbo, new motor coolant lines, new exhaust manifold and studs, EGR cooler, oil cooler, oil pump, not shimmed, fresh overhead, etc., everything is new under there. Clutch has roughly 300,000 miles on her. Swap out the gears if you want. But for what you are doing in that area, the 18 speed, the gearing probably would not matter, pretty flat terrain. I bought this truck to haul propane when I was up in ND.

Too many new parts to list... Has the Tri-Pac Evolution and bunk heater, two years old. Killer Alpine sound system, new 2300 watt and 1800 watt inverters, custom counter work in the sleeper, it is actually functional now... I will leave the 45QT Iceco refrigerator/freezer/cooler, it is brand new too, it sits where the passenger seat used to be, this is a single man's truck. Also has solar panels on the roof to keep the five new batteries fresh. Fifth wheel is new, new motor and cab mounts, new OEM CAC and Radiator, new 300 amp Delco alternator, brake airlines, chambers, slack adjusters, brake shoes and new drums all the way around, newer carrier bearing, u-joints, pinion seals, yoke, pin bushings in rear suspension are newer along with the torque rods and bushings, the list goes on and on... All of the major parts have been touched, the next thing on my list is the front end. There are no issues up there, but she does have a tad over one million miles on her. I like to be proactive before anything goes wrong. And yes, that is a new Herd Defender bumper up there... Also has a $1000 mattress in the sleeper, bought that not long ago, sleep like a baby. It has been covered from day one with a protective mattress pad, still like new. And I have driven her coast to coast, no issues.

There are some cosmetic issues, rust on the rear frame rails and a bit of the hood is missing by the driver side headlamp, easily fixed in your driveway. Oh, I also have two new headlamps still in the box that need to be installed. They are the Dorman regular bulb headlight assemblies. They come with it too... Put it this way, the good far outweighs the ugly on this truck, and the ugly is not much for a 2008 with so many good things going for it. Easily get another million miles out of this truck with regular maintenance and care without breaking your bank account.

I bought the truck in 2013, it has spent its life with me hauling light loads with a van, normally hauling at or under 15,000 lbs. For your application in Texas, I would think it would make a good truck if you drive her gently on the lease roads as someone else said, and I know Texas is nothing like ND. The beauty with this truck is that if the oil field goes bust, and they do, you can easily put this thing to work with a flatbed or tanker. She is has a 244" wheelbase, the wet kit oil is in the rear 1/4 half of the passenger side fuel tank. She holds roughly 180 gallons of fuel.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Redland1
(03-21-2021 )Waterloo Wrote:  You should buy my truck... I am tired of the rat race out here, 31 years, and the ELD killed it for me... Nothing wrong with this truck, and she has what you need right now... She has an OEM 871 600hp motor under the hood, a locker, wet kit and steerable lift axle... Pretty much virgin rubber, around 4 months old, Michelin steers and Dayton drives, new Dayton tires on lift axle, less than say 50,000 miles on all them, if that... The motor is broken in, around 100,000 + on the in frame at Rawze's, we replaced just about everything under the hood, injectors, a 6 pack of new ones, not remans, 2 new cams, Jake is STRONG, new reman Haldex air compressor, new power steering pump and power steering coolant lines, new coolant lines on the air cooled transmission, YTS Turbo, new motor coolant lines, new exhaust manifold and studs, EGR cooler, oil cooler, oil pump, not shimmed, fresh overhead, etc., everything is new under there. Clutch has roughly 300,000 miles on her. Swap out the gears if you want. But for what you are doing in that area, the 18 speed, the gearing probably would not matter, pretty flat terrain. I bought this truck to haul propane when I was up in ND.

Too many new parts to list... Has the Tri-Pac Evolution and bunk heater, two years old. Killer Alpine sound system, new 2300 watt and 1800 watt inverters, custom counter work in the sleeper, it is actually functional now... I will leave the 45QT Iceco refrigerator/freezer/cooler, it is brand new too, it sits where the passenger seat used to be, this is a single man's truck. Also has solar panels on the roof to keep the five new batteries fresh. Fifth wheel is new, new motor and cab mounts, new OEM CAC and Radiator, new 300 watt Delco alternator, brake airlines, chambers, slack adjusters, brake shoes and new drums all the way around, newer carrier bearing, u-joints, pinion seals, yoke, pin bushings in rear suspension are newer along with the torque rods and bushings, the list goes on and on... All of the major parts have been touched, the next thing on my list is the front end. There are no issues up there, but she does have a tad over one million miles on her. I like to be proactive before anything goes wrong. And yes, that is a new Herd Defender bumper up there... Also has a $1000 mattress in the sleeper, bought that not long ago, sleep like a baby. It has been covered from day one with a protective mattress pad, still like new. And I have driven her coast to coast, no issues.

There are some cosmetic issues, rust on the rear frame rails and a bit of the hood is missing by the driver side headlamp, easily fixed in your driveway. Oh, I also have two new headlamps still in the box that need to be installed. They are the Dorman regular bulb headlight assemblies. They come with it too... Put it this way, the good far outweighs the ugly on this truck, and the ugly is not much for a 2008 with so many good things going for it. Easily get another million miles out of this truck with regular maintenance and care without breaking your bank account.

I bought the truck in 2013, it has spent its life with me hauling light loads with a van, normally hauling at or under 15,000 lbs. For your application in Texas, I would think it would make a good truck if you drive her gently on the lease roads as someone else said, and I know Texas is nothing like ND. The beauty with this truck is that if the oil field goes bust, and they do, you can easily put this thing to work with a flatbed or tanker.
How much weight did the bumper add to your steers? I want to put one on my ProStar but my steers are already over weight.
replyreply
I just weighed her the other day, with a 53' empty LandStar dry van hooked up, and I axled this on a scale at a shipper, it is right at 12,520 with roughly 130 gallons of fuel in the tanks. I have never had any DOT issues in over 8 years of ownership. The front end on this thing is always well over 12,000 lbs, bumper or no bumper, it is the fuel tank placement that screws up these ProStars, but you know that.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.