Oil thermostat
03-24-2021, (Subject: Oil thermostat ) 
Thumbs Up Oil thermostat
How difficult is it to change the oil thermostat?
replyreply
RE: Oil thermostat
* why does it need replacing would be the bigger question.

oil thermostat can be a bear on some engines.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Alternator off, ac compressor off and to the side. Big bracket that holds them on needs to be removed and you have access to the big nut where the thermostat hides.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
03-25-2021, (Subject: Oil thermostat ) 
The water pump will need to come off as well, no way the thermostat will come out with it in place.
replyreply
03-25-2021, (Subject: Oil thermostat ) 
You can get them out and in without removing the water pump. Just takes a bit of wiggling around.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Rocky
06-24-2021, (Subject: Oil thermostat ) 
What tool do I need to remove the plug? I know I need a snap ring players for the stat.
replyreply
06-27-2021, (Subject: Oil thermostat ) 
(06-24-2021 )earnies2 Wrote:  What tool do I need to remove the plug? I know I need a snap ring players for the stat.
13mm, 15mm, 10mm 3/8drive sockets, a dead blow rubber mallet for getting accessory bracket off. A 3/4" Allen wrench. Need just a regular Allen wrench. The socket type will not clear water pump. A mirror on a stick and the skill to use the snap ring pliers in the mirror. A good pick and hook set for when you get fed up trying to get snap ring out in the mirror. A new snap ring and oring.
In my case a 10mm1.5 helicoil set for the mounting bolt that broke off when trying to remove. 1/2" breaker bar for removing belts. As to answer the question as to why to change it, mine had come apart and came out in 3 pieces. Put new stat in high oil temp problem solved.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: trucklogger2 , schISM , earnies2 , Signature620 , Rocky
06-30-2021, (Subject: Oil thermostat ) 
(06-27-2021 )W9L Wrote:  
(06-24-2021 )earnies2 Wrote:  What tool do I need to remove the plug? I know I need a snap ring players for the stat.
13mm, 15mm, 10mm 3/8drive sockets, a dead blow rubber mallet for getting accessory bracket off. A 3/4" Allen wrench. Need just a regular Allen wrench. The socket type will not clear water pump. A mirror on a stick and the skill to use the snap ring pliers in the mirror. A good pick and hook set for when you get fed up trying to get snap ring out in the mirror. A new snap ring and oring.
In my case a 10mm1.5 helicoil set for the mounting bolt that broke off when trying to remove. 1/2" breaker bar for removing belts. As to answer the question as to why to change it, mine had come apart and came out in 3 pieces. Put new stat in high oil temp problem solved.

Thanks for the reply I am also attempting to do a damper so I can pin the motor and check my cam timing
Fun fun
replyreply
07-29-2021, (Subject: Oil thermostat ) 
Well that is complete. The toughest part was removing the snapping and replacing it .
I ended up making a snapring plyers out of a needle nose plyers and using a USB camara to see the snapring.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Chamberpains , Rocky

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.