Windshield washer fluid line failed... Have question.
08-06-2016, (Subject: Windshield washer fluid line failed... Have question. ) 
Windshield washer fluid line failed... Have question.
Ok, 2008 ProStar, going down the road and my "Low Windshield Washer Fluid" idiot light came on... I just filled the bottle the other day... I found that the plastic line that runs from the pump on the bottle to the windshield had rubbed against the chassis and sprung a leak. I tried splicing the line with a quick connect, but the line was just a hair to big to properly seat. So, anyone replaced this line with regular vacuum hose, or is a trip to the dealer needed to get the correct sized line? It looks to be a very oddball size compared to the rest of the plastic air lines on the truck. I called the dealer, and they had no clue on the actual size of the plastic line, or if available.

Anyone replace this line, and or splice it? If you spliced a new section in, what did you use to do that?
replyreply
RE: Windshield washer fluid line failed... Have question.
Take a piece of it over to NAPA and get some replacement stuff.
replyreply
I will take it apart when I get home Monday, just wondering, due to the odd ball I.D. of the line if there was something out there that was a direct fit that others have used. There is at least one connector at the pump that looks to be a bit different in size, and the line runs through the harness to boot. Hopefully some vacuum line will work and I can be done with it.
replyreply
use shrink wrap and a lighter

User's Signature: In the immortal words of Romeo as he gazed upon Juliet's eyes..."Wait...We Drank What?!"
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
(08-06-2016 )Hedley Wrote:  use shrink wrap and a lighter

Hot damn! Thanks Hedley! I never thought of that! I have plenty of shrink tube and a torch...
replyreply
08-08-2016, (Subject: Windshield washer fluid line failed... Have question. ) 
(08-06-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  ...
and the line runs through the harness to boot

The best thing you can do is GET THAT WASHER LINE OUT OF THAT HARNESS IT RUINS THROUGH AND RE-ROUTE IT BY ITSELF!!!!!!!!

The washer line on many prostars runs through the wiring harness for the headlight circuits as well on the drivers side under the frame. It eventually cracks over time and leaks windshield washer fluid into the wiring harness and corrodes all the wiring making for a LOT of problems!.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rrod , zero4 , Toolguy
08-08-2016, (Subject: Windshield washer fluid line failed... Have question. ) 
(08-08-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  
(08-06-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  ...
and the line runs through the harness to boot

The best thing you can do is GET THAT WASHER LINE OUT OF THAT HARNESS IT RUINS THROUGH AND RE-ROUTE IT BY ITSELF!!!!!!!!

The washer line on many prostars runs through the wiring harness for the headlight circuits as well on the drivers side under the frame. It eventually cracks over time and leaks windshield washer fluid into the wiring harness and corrodes all the wiring making for a LOT of problems!.

Just got home... That was my plan, pull the old line and run a fresh new one on a different route. Line will be in tomorrow morning, real oddball size, 6.98mm if I remember correctly...

And then to top all of this off... I pull into the driveway, smoke coming out from under the hood... AC condenser is cracked... The damn hits keep coming!
replyreply
08-09-2016, (Subject: Windshield washer fluid line failed... Have question. ) 
Look at the bright side Waterloo, if you can hold out for another 6 months you'll have a "new" truck.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Signature620
08-09-2016, (Subject: Windshield washer fluid line failed... Have question. ) 
(08-09-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  Look at the bright side Waterloo, if you can hold out for another 6 months you'll have a "new" truck.

LOL! Problem is, these are the new parts I am now replacing... That cracked condenser isn't even a year old. It's these damn roads up here in Michigan! Found one for $120 up the road from me, it will be in around noon... I still have the gasket/o-ring kit from my last AC job, so I am good there, I hope... Will install this afternoon and go get her evacuated and recharged... Hopefully be rolling tomorrow...

I just wanted to come home, have a few beers, do the laundry and relax for a day... Can't make this stuff up.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.