A Cat Guy
08-09-2016, (Subject: A Cat Guy ) 
A Cat Guy
Does anyone know of someone who knows Cats like Rawze knows Cummins?
replyreply
08-09-2016, (Subject: A Cat Guy ) 
RE: A Cat Guy
I think Gear Head does.I know Unilevers does to. We just do all the mechanical stuff let the smart guys to the other.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: iceman
09-20-2016, (Subject: A Cat Guy ) 
I have a few negative things to say about single turbo cat c15 engines, it sames they run a lot higher on the pyro then their Acert twin turbo counterparts, also I would say a Acert engine has better low end torque then the single turbo, just my opinion
replyreply
(09-20-2016 )Running rough Wrote:  I have a few negative things to say about single turbo cat c15 engines, it sames they run a lot higher on the pyro then their Acert twin turbo counterparts, also I would say a Acert engine has better low end torque then the single turbo, just my opinion

I've never owned or worked on one, but one of my former shopmates has/does and just a simple observation makes the reason fairly obvious to me...the pyro probe is located after the second turbo, therefore you have a dramatically larger displacement volume due to exhaust pipe runners between turbos, as well as twice as much turbine wheel surface area absorbing EG heat.
Not trying to denigrate what you said, just my observation...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DLC
Don't take my word for much , I have never owed a 550 but worked right beside lots and lots for them . My experience around them is this , a single turbo or a twin kicked back to a single is a typical die hard tough cat , a twin is if your lucky ,it keeps to head on her or gasket.
A good friend of mine has both. He does all offroad work , he says the twin does have a lot better hold of the load , but all the cats I have ever seen with issues were the twins.
My thoughts are ( keeping in mind I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground ) they produce way to much boost and that's what takes the heads out of them , I know Lots of guys take the same motor , kick it back to a single and they have a good strong motor.

Keeping in mind this is all offroad work , in the mud either logging or oil patch . We or they take trucks where most jacked up 4x4 pickups would laugh at you and think your nuts for thinking they would go there. These is not hi way work where fuel mileage , ect is a huge factor . It's all about getting in and out with as little abuse as possible on the trucks ,day in ,day out
Just my two scents

User's Signature: The missing link
replyreply
 Thanks given by: HES
(09-20-2016 )the missing link Wrote:  Don't take my word for much , I have never owed a 550 but worked right beside lots and lots for them . My experience around them is this , a single turbo or a twin kicked back to a single is a typical die hard tough cat , a twin is if your lucky ,it keeps to head on her or gasket.
A good friend of mine has both. He does all offroad work , he says the twin does have a lot better hold of the load , but all the cats I have ever seen with issues were the twins.
My thoughts are ( keeping in mind I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground ) they produce way to much boost and that's what takes the heads out of them , I know Lots of guys take the same motor , kick it back to a single and they have a good strong motor.

Keeping in mind this is all offroad work , in the mud either logging or oil patch . We or they take trucks where most jacked up 4x4 pickups would laugh at you and think your nuts for thinking they would go there. These is not hi way work where fuel mileage , ect is a huge factor . It's all about getting in and out with as little abuse as possible on the trucks ,day in ,day out
Just my two scents

I always have hack job tuner shops trying to convince me to single my twins. Oh yes let's delete my iva and lower the boost coming out of my high compression acert cause we definitely won't have excessive cylinder pressures at all.

My acert went a million miles before needing a rebuild or a new head. People have issues because they think its a cat and they don't have to shift gears while climbing hills and they can lug the thing all day. put these people in a old mechanical and see how long that motor lasts!

In my opinion, I have 2 red flags. if the mechanic tells me to delete iva or delete twins I won't use him.

That being said, I will always go into conversation with said mechanic and if they seem very knowledgeable on the subject then I'll hear what they have to say but to date they all buckle when put under pressure.

I'll let you hack my motor if you can explain why but if you can't then don't do tuning and go back to changing fucking brake pods.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hetdiesel , HES , Canadian_eh85
I know a guy who has either a 2002 or 2004 CAT bridge engine he got new. These things by reputation are the single worst engine CAT has ever nailed together. He does Edmonton - Saskatoon rounders 5 days a week so 3300 miles per week. Last time I talked to him he was about 20000km shy of 3 million km and neither the head or oil pan have been off. He changes oil every 12000 miles, drives easy in the city, and cruises at 98kph. It really is about how you treat it.

User's Signature: Too young to quit........Too old to change.
replyreply
I do believe more cats make it to a million miles then cummins or detroits, the 6nz single turbo had probly the best reputation for the best longest lasting engine to ever be put into a truck, put you do have to realize they were pre emmisins engines, with no egr crap, and timing that allowed the oil to stay clean a long time right from the factory, if I would not be running cummins with @m*m^2 then I would get a used 6nz or c16 block from a wreaker and rebuild it if I had the coin, defintlely couldnt go wrong, that route, (of coarse that is asuming the rebuild quality is top notch)
replyreply
09-21-2016, (Subject: A Cat Guy ) 
(09-20-2016 )Brock Wrote:  
(09-20-2016 )the missing link Wrote:  Don't take my word for much , I have never owed a 550 but worked right beside lots and lots for them . My experience around them is this , a single turbo or a twin kicked back to a single is a typical die hard tough cat , a twin is if your lucky ,it keeps to head on her or gasket.

Just my two scents

I always have hack job tuner shops trying to convince me to single my twins. Oh yes let's delete my iva and lower the boost coming out of my high compression acert cause we definitely won't have excessive cylinder pressures at all.

My acert went a million miles before needing a rebuild or a new head. People have issues because they think its a cat and they don't have to shift gears while climbing hills and they can lug the thing all day. put these people in a old mechanical and see how long that motor lasts!

In my opinion, I have 2 red flags. if the mechanic tells me to delete iva or delete twins I won't use him.

That being said, I will always go into conversation with said mechanic and if they seem very knowledgeable on the subject then I'll hear what they have to say but to date they all buckle when put under pressure.

I'll let you hack my motor if you can explain why but if you can't then don't do tuning and go back to changing fucking brake pods.

Very well said, like I said I have never drove or owned one . But your enlightenment stands to reason , which would explain why some guys have such good luck with them . My friend who does logging drives old school which would also stand to your reason .
I never put that together , but I am always amazed how stupid people are . You think I would learn lol

User's Signature: The missing link
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.