A Cat Guy
09-20-2016, (Subject: A Cat Guy ) 
RE: A Cat Guy
(09-20-2016 )the missing link Wrote:  Don't take my word for much , I have never owed a 550 but worked right beside lots and lots for them . My experience around them is this , a single turbo or a twin kicked back to a single is a typical die hard tough cat , a twin is if your lucky ,it keeps to head on her or gasket.
A good friend of mine has both. He does all offroad work , he says the twin does have a lot better hold of the load , but all the cats I have ever seen with issues were the twins.
My thoughts are ( keeping in mind I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground ) they produce way to much boost and that's what takes the heads out of them , I know Lots of guys take the same motor , kick it back to a single and they have a good strong motor.

Keeping in mind this is all offroad work , in the mud either logging or oil patch . We or they take trucks where most jacked up 4x4 pickups would laugh at you and think your nuts for thinking they would go there. These is not hi way work where fuel mileage , ect is a huge factor . It's all about getting in and out with as little abuse as possible on the trucks ,day in ,day out
Just my two scents

I always have hack job tuner shops trying to convince me to single my twins. Oh yes let's delete my iva and lower the boost coming out of my high compression acert cause we definitely won't have excessive cylinder pressures at all.

My acert went a million miles before needing a rebuild or a new head. People have issues because they think its a cat and they don't have to shift gears while climbing hills and they can lug the thing all day. put these people in a old mechanical and see how long that motor lasts!

In my opinion, I have 2 red flags. if the mechanic tells me to delete iva or delete twins I won't use him.

That being said, I will always go into conversation with said mechanic and if they seem very knowledgeable on the subject then I'll hear what they have to say but to date they all buckle when put under pressure.

I'll let you hack my motor if you can explain why but if you can't then don't do tuning and go back to changing fucking brake pods.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hetdiesel , HES , Canadian_eh85

Messages In This Thread
A Cat Guy - Tdaent06 - 08-09-2016,
RE: A Cat Guy - Mr Hagg - 08-09-2016,
RE: A Cat Guy - Running rough - 09-20-2016,
RE: A Cat Guy - Hammerhead - 09-20-2016,
RE: A Cat Guy - Brock - 09-20-2016
RE: A Cat Guy - kryten - 09-20-2016,
RE: A Cat Guy - Running rough - 09-20-2016,
RE: A Cat Guy - multitask - 09-13-2017,
RE: A Cat Guy - TruckerMatt - 06-15-2019,
RE: A Cat Guy - Rawze - 06-17-2019,
RE: A Cat Guy - iceman - 06-17-2019,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.