High oil pressure
04-13-2021, (Subject: High oil pressure ) 
High oil pressure
Finally got it cranked up today. Fresh inframe. All cummins parts, new head, all the going recommendations you would expect to see on here. All new sensors, cams new, IFSM all new, yts turbo, front structure gasket, all gaskets, hoses and O-rings replaced. I was pretty far into this.
Engine has the older style pump, NOS, that had 8 dimes put into the cup in the bottom of the relief valve.
Engine starts and runs great. No odd noises or anything of the sort, not even a check engine light. Engine starts with high oil pressure that drops to about 22 as it warms up at idle. Oil pressure climbs with RPM, up to 85 at 1500. Obviously can't drive it this way, tomorrow I'm dropping the pan to check the pump. It appears that the regulator is working.
Just to clarify, this is the older pump that uses the same diameter idler and driven gears and the regulator is held in with a cotter pin. It has 8 dimes in it and they were installed when the pump was vertical (so the dimes played flat).
I will be verifying the pressure, though I'm pretty sure it's high...the engine sounds like a waterfall when I shut it off, there is so much oil in the top running back into the pan.
Anything else to look out for? I'm thinking of disassembling the pump to make sure there isn't some trash in it or something of the like. I'm also wondering if maybe installing the dimes in the bottom of the regulator valve vs the bottom of the bore in the pump body was a mistake...?

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
04-14-2021, (Subject: High oil pressure ) 
RE: High oil pressure
i used 6 dimes to get about 48~ish.

85 sounds too high for 8 dimes tho too. u Prolly got the oil pump shim installed upside down (or the wrong shim) on the exhaust side of the engine... blocking the regulator/ small return circuit hole. That or a mistake was made when adding the dimes.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: dhirocz
04-14-2021, (Subject: High oil pressure ) 
RE: High oil pressure
Dimes were fine, sensor was fine. Problem was the bore for the pressure relief valve. It looked as if someone had maybe dropped it at one point. I could see where the valve was getting stuck between both ends of the barbell...just enough to keep it from opening under spring pressure. When I did the dimes, I didn't notice it but I sure did when I tore it down.

Cleaned up the burr and reassembled it, putting it back in now. Hoping this works ok this time around, my old pump looked a bit rough when I took it apart for comparison.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mav

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.