Trans and gear oil?
05-02-2021, (Subject: Trans and gear oil? ) 
RE: Trans and gear oil?
Took you guy’s advice and drained and filled diffs and trans with 80w90.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
05-02-2021, (Subject: Trans and gear oil? ) 
I have 75/90 in my trans and rears. I didn't change it myself so the shop (TA) chose the oil (I think it's Mobil 1). No complaints though. I run Northeast/New England and mostly northern states so there's a good chunk of the year with at or below freezing start-up temps. Honestly, when you consider the average cost per mile for gear oil it doesn't make a huge difference to my bottom line.

Now, when it comes to engine oil I add the non-synthetic Super Tech 80/90. At one change every 1-2 months that cost would add up fast.

Rawze's thread on gear lube in engine oil.

As for your target engine oil change interval, you should be basing it on your fuel mileage instead of a random number.

I take the average fuel mileage for the current oil, subtract 2.0 and multiply by 3000. That gives me a target mileage for my next oil change.

Example: If I'm averaging 6.5mpg for the current oil, based on hard numbers tracking my fuel mileage, then 6.5-2.0= 4.5 * 3000 = 13,500mi interval. Add that number to the odometer reading when I did the last oil change and that's my target.

This calculation corresponds to the intervals Rawze suggests in his thread below and works really well as a formula in my fuel mileage tracking spreadsheet. (I created the formula based on Rawze's chart. When it differs slightly it does so conservatively. Better safe than sorry)

Rawze's thread on bypass oil systems and oil change intervals.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Redland1
05-03-2021, (Subject: Trans and gear oil? ) 
First run since the trans and diffs were changed to 80w90 and trans is at 220F.Should I be worried?
replyreply
(05-03-2021 )Redland1 Wrote:  First run since the trans and diffs were changed to 80w90 and trans is at 220F.Should I be worried?

nope

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Redland1
I think the trans temp gauge is off.It’s reading 250f so I went under the truck and checked the temp with the infrared thermometer gun at it showed 185f.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.