Trans and gear oil?
04-25-2021, (Subject: Trans and gear oil? ) 
RE: Trans and gear oil?
85/90 stalube is $30 a gallon. Seems to be the going rate for quality gear oil. Supertech is cheaper but I don't trust it. That's just how I am though, maybe it's fine.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Redland1
(04-25-2021 )tree98 Wrote:  85/90 stalube is $30 a gallon. Seems to be the going rate for quality gear oil. Supertech is cheaper but I don't trust it. That's just how I am though, maybe it's fine.

Supertech is fine, made by Warren Oil, same outfit that produces products for Pennzoil, it meets all of the government standards and is not a recycled product. I have been using it over the Sta-Lube due to price, and when I need it, every Walmart sells it. A gallon is only $14 vs the $40 I last paid for Sta-Lube on Amazon. I'm now a Supertech fanboy, LOL!

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
(04-25-2021 )Redland1 Wrote:  
(04-25-2021 )Chamberpains Wrote:  That's what I've got in both my trucks trans and rears. It's found at fleetpride for a really reasonable price.

I got it for $125.62 a pail.Sound about right?

I think I pay $70-80 a 5 gal bucket at fleetpride. It may be even cheaper when it's on sale
replyreply
(04-25-2021 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(04-25-2021 )tree98 Wrote:  85/90 stalube is $30 a gallon. Seems to be the going rate for quality gear oil. Supertech is cheaper but I don't trust it. That's just how I am though, maybe it's fine.

Supertech is fine, made by Warren Oil, same outfit that produces products dfor Pennzoil, it meets all of the government standards and is not a recycled product. I have been using it over the Sta-Lube due to price, and when I need it, every Walmart sells it. A gallon is only $14 vs the $40 I last paid for Sta-Lube on Amazon. I'm now a Supertech fanboy, LOL!

The supertech 80w90 I found on Walmart.com is not synthetic.Is that the right one?
replyreply
04-26-2021, (Subject: Trans and gear oil? ) 
(04-25-2021 )Redland1 Wrote:  The supertech 80w90 I found on Walmart.com is not synthetic.Is that the right one?

It is the one a lot of us use... Is there a particular reason you need only a synthetic? ... or is it just to make yourself feel better by spending more $$ moneys on oil?

would depend on your operations and climates that you frequent.

-- the next Q. would be "are you replacing all your gearbox oils at 250k miles (or equivalent hours) or every 2 years ... whichever comes first, usually at the same time you re-torque all your hub bearings and do all the other 250k truck maintenance ... like you should be?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(04-25-2021 )Redland1 Wrote:  
(04-25-2021 )Waterloo Wrote:  I would put it everywhere, 1 gallon in the oil, and the boxes.

Dumb question.But how does gear oil help in the motor?
With ur engine at temp and idling add a gallon and listen to the difference.
replyreply
(04-26-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  
(04-25-2021 )Redland1 Wrote:  The supertech 80w90 I found on Walmart.com is not synthetic.Is that the right one?

It is the one a lot of us use... Is there a particular reason you need only a synthetic? ... or is it just to make yourself feel better by spending more $$ moneys on oil?

would depend on your operations and climates that you frequent.

-- the next Q. would be "are you replacing all your gearbox oils at 250k miles (or equivalent hours) or every 2 years ... whichever comes first, usually at the same time you re-torque all your hub bearings and do all the other 250k truck maintenance ... like you should be?

The only reason I was thinking synthetic was because of the amount of miles between drain intervals.But as far as having a preference I don’t.Motor oil is going to be conventional and the OCI will either be 10 or 12k.Haven’t quite decided on that one yet.

Just got the truck.But I will be replacing and re-torquing every 250k going forward.
replyreply
Well if synthetic is not needed what do y’all think about the Traveller brand of gear oil?
replyreply
Traveller is also made by warren oil. I have used it in my diffs now for a couple years.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.