isx cm2350 oil pump
05-21-2021, (Subject: isx cm2350 oil pump ) 
isx cm2350 oil pump
How soon should oil pump be replaced that sounds like a silage chopper? Do they have a history of coming apart or stop working?
replyreply
RE: isx cm2350 oil pump
Is it the oil pump? Or something else up there? How many miles on the truck, make and model...

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
(05-21-2021 )Waterloo Wrote:  Is it the oil pump? Or something else up there? How many miles on the truck, make and model...

I assumed its the pump because it seems to be coming from inside oil pan, its loudest at the front end of pan...2015 Pete 579 500k miles
replyreply
These pumps rarely fail at that mileage... What is the oil pressure like? But, I could be wrong, these oil pumps are pretty beefy...

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
Waterloo is right, I took mine off at 750K when doing the rod and main bearings. I took it all apart and micced the gears. Other then a few polished spots on the gear teeth it was the same as a brand new one.

There really isn't much to them to go wrong. No bearings or anything to wear out.

Could your noise be from the gear train above the pump?? Or the first or second rod or main bearings??

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress
05-25-2021, (Subject: isx cm2350 oil pump ) 
If it sounds like a silage chopper to you, chances are this sound may be even coming from the High Pressure Fuel Pump. If you had the fuel pump removed recently for any reason, Cummins does mention that if you don't "time" the fuel pump it may result in a "chopper/helicopter" type sound.

The first question you should answer is how many miles on that fuel pump? If its 400k on it you need to replace the fuel pump internals as personal insurance.

My friend has shown me a fuel pump that actually had a bent crankshaft which made a horrible noise.

Wouldn't hurt for you to pull the fuel pump head and inspect/replace internals.

Rawze has videos on this as well as many posts on this forum.

This is a good place to start.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , hookliftpete , JimT

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.