Michelin XDA Energy or Bridgestone M713 drives?
05-26-2021, (Subject: Michelin XDA Energy or Bridgestone M713 drives? ) 
RE: Michelin XDA Energy or Bridgestone M713 drives?
My tire guy doesn’t take any discounts if you want $$$ for your old tires, but he seems to have decent prices and he gives me top dollar for my old ones. But again, I swap at about half life.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
05-27-2021, (Subject: Michelin XDA Energy or Bridgestone M713 drives? ) 
I have 4 m710 and 4 m713 on my truck right now. Visually, I like the tread design of the 713 better. As for wear, it hasn't been long enough to quantify any differences. I recently had a few consecutive fill-ups in the mid 8's (8.5, 8.7) with around 35-40k on the deck, so the tires aren't really a limiting factor for my fuel mileage. I like how the 713's don't pick up rocks like the 710's do. As for this past winter, the configuration I have worked just fine, even running extremely light weights. Generally speaking traction has been good. all around.

Only downside I've noticed, so far, with the 713's is that they come with 2/32 LESS tread depth than the 710's. Guess that gives them slightly better rolling resistance brand new at the expense of slightly shorter life expectancy?

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne
05-27-2021, (Subject: Michelin XDA Energy or Bridgestone M713 drives? ) 
Thx for the info guys, this is what I was looking for. Like mentioned before, I'm sure I'll be fine either way, but when you're shelling out 5k on a set of drives it just feels a little better to have someone else's experience to help guide in a particular direction.

JimT, I also noticed that the M713's were a hair shorter. I'm assuming the M713 (M710 redesign) was an answer to the Michelin XDA Energy. Michelin seemed to be aiming directly at Bridgstone with those lol..... here's what the brochure states:

"An ultra-fuel-efficient, line haul, dual drive tire.
Saves your fleet $400 annually per truck in fuel by replacing the Bridgestone M710
Ecopia™ tire with the MICHELIN XDA ENERGY tire, when you pay $2.53 per gallon."

Obviously those ^^ savings ^^ would be negligible with a one truck operation, but you get the idea...
replyreply
05-28-2021, (Subject: Michelin XDA Energy or Bridgestone M713 drives? ) 
(05-27-2021 )SquareOne Wrote:  ..."An ultra-fuel-efficient, line haul, dual drive tire.
Saves your fleet $400 annually per truck in fuel by replacing the Bridgestone M710
Ecopia™ tire with the MICHELIN XDA ENERGY tire, when you pay $2.53 per gallon."

Obviously those ^^ savings ^^ would be negligible with a one truck operation, but you get the idea...

Does not save you crap if your light all the time. Rolling resistance savings is totally dependant on how much weight you carry.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne , Toolguy
05-28-2021, (Subject: Michelin XDA Energy or Bridgestone M713 drives? ) 
Rawze, the new M713 claims up to 15% more tread life.... using the mileage you've already gotten with the M710's, you'd have the potential to crack 500k, so basically 2 valve adjustments to one set of drives lol

...or for those who abuse the newer engines, 1 inframe to one set of drives lol
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT , Toolguy
06-18-2021, (Subject: Michelin XDA Energy or Bridgestone M713 drives? ) 
So, decided on the M713's. Sitting at the T/A now waiting for them to be installed. The guy at the T/A gave me the best price (although not sure how it matches up to the discounts I'm sure many of you get), and offered to purchase all 8 of my used Sumo's.

The Sumo's are a lower Tier tire and the 2 shops I have dealt with claim since so many people in our area purchase the cheaper tires, they have no need to give credits for the ones I have now. T/A offered $75/tire....IMO cant beat that considering they are literally wore to 2-3 32nds across all 8, have enough hardware in them to build a small shed, and ...what am I going to do with them anyway once they're off lol.

Basically with the credit the total comes out to just under $3900 for the 8 drives installed and out the door.

I'll keep ya posted on how they perform. I pray they fix this damn shake I've developed with the Sumo's. It's been getting worse as they have worn on--not to mention how poor the ride and wet traction has been in their current condition.
replyreply
(06-18-2021 )SquareOne Wrote:  So, decided on the M713's. Sitting at the T/A now waiting for them to be installed. The guy at the T/A gave me the best price (although not sure how it matches up to the discounts I'm sure many of you get), and offered to purchase all 8 of my used Sumo's.

The Sumo's are a lower Tier tire and the 2 shops I have dealt with claim since so many people in our area purchase the cheaper tires, they have no need to give credits for the ones I have now. T/A offered $75/tire....IMO cant beat that considering they are literally wore to 2-3 32nds across all 8, have enough hardware in them to build a small shed, and ...what am I going to do with them anyway once they're off lol.

Basically with the credit the total comes out to just under $3900 for the 8 drives installed and out the door.

I'll keep ya posted on how they perform. I pray they fix this damn shake I've developed with the Sumo's. It's been getting worse as they have worn on--not to mention how poor the ride and wet traction has been in their current condition.

when I replaced mine last time, they caused me a 0.7 mpg hit for about 80,000 miles till they wore in.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne , Nostalgic , Toolguy
^^—— yeaaaaa I remember reading that on one of your earlier posts. I am def not looking forward to it. Been really getting used to these high 8’s and occasional 9mpgs.
replyreply
07-02-2021, (Subject: Michelin XDA Energy or Bridgestone M713 drives? ) 
Quick report on the Bridgestones....

I now have about 5k on the Bridgestone M713's. So far, so good. They feel great in the rain (I'm assuming the siping has plenty to do with that), Fixed majority of my shaking problem, and seem to carry weight very well with little side to side roll. They do tend to 'hunt' the parts of I-10, with heavy wear, when I'm empty. Solid impacts such as bridge transitions or worn holes in the highway are much better, although thats mostly a result of replacing very wore tires.

Unfortunately I did suffer some on fuel mileage. The latest tanks were .3-.5 lower than normal (which Rawze warned me of). I am running the tires at 100psi rather than the full 110, so I'm sure it may change RR slightly when I'm loaded. Either way, the confident feel of these tires makes it an acceptable trade-off.

**Keep in mind, these are replacing a set of Sumo 788's that were very worn (evenly, but down to about 3-4/32nds). Sumos started with only 16/32nds whereas the M713's have started with 24/32nds, which I'm sure will assist with ride quality and time of use down the road. Sumos also always had a light shake which only progressed as the tire wore down.**

Lastly, I'm running a 185 WB daycab Cascadia with a traditional leaf spring skateboard --- you feel everything with it. Comfort is certainly not a word used to describe this setup. Basic necessity would be a more accurate description lol. All said, I'm happy with the M713's so far. Obviously only time will tell, so I'll keep you all informed on the wear progress and ride quality.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , JimT , schISM , Toolguy

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.