cm870 excessive black smoke under power
08-17-2016, (Subject: cm870 excessive black smoke under power ) 
RE: cm870 excessive black smoke under power
(08-17-2016 )Runt Wrote:  Probably the Turbo Actuator. Some refer to it as the waste gate.
I have to replace mine almost once a year.
As soon as I see excessive black smoke and loss of power......I spend the $300.00 or so and replace it myself in about 20 minutes. Bingo, she's good for another length of time!

Runt

Just a word of caution for those who own CM870's out there ... Unplugging your EGR and not having the ECM re-programmed properly for it can make for a lot of excess turbo temps.

Once a year? --- You got a pyro gauge on the Manifold like in my videos? --- Sounds like it is exceeding 900 degrees to me,.. that or you are not letting it cool to below 400 degrees before you shut it off.

Just some thought on it... Rawze

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
08-18-2016, (Subject: cm870 excessive black smoke under power ) 
Thanks to the Forum, I have indeed watched the videos and installed a pyrometer earlier this year.
I did in fact unplug the EGR when it was the thing to do years back 08/09..., but it has been plugged in since the last EGR replacement in 2010?
I can't say that I always let the turbo cool down to 400, but I ALWAYS try.

The 1 on it now has been on well over a year thus far. Most dealerships tell me it's bad quality control wherever they make them.

Runt
replyreply
(08-18-2016 )Runt Wrote:  Thanks to the Forum, I have indeed watched the videos and installed a pyrometer earlier this year.
I did in fact unplug the EGR when it was the thing to do years back 08/09..., but it has been plugged in since the last EGR replacement in 2010?
I can't say that I always let the turbo cool down to 400, but I ALWAYS try.

The 1 on it now has been on well over a year thus far. Most dealerships tell me it's bad quality control wherever they make them.

Runt

Thanks for the feedback. Everyone learns and benefits from others experiences.

what does your pyro stay at most of the time?

Boost levels?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Mostly between 450 and 550. Boost on a pull with 43k still below 40lbs. usually about 32-35lbs.
I know your against cruise control, but I set it and forget it.... I really don't run much over 62mph anymore.
I would like to get to do a light tuning and get rid of engine clutter. Gotta say....she's been a good motor
replyreply
I don't think Rawze is against cruise control. I think he's said he'd use it on flat stretches but he uses his foot in the hills to keep boost under 20psi. Oh, and the tunes over 485 tend to get really hot while on cruise in the mountains on hard pulls also. Which is why he recommends the 485 tune as the biggest to put in if you plan on using cruise a lot.
replyreply
Thanks Nilao..
Yea, I would tune it for 500 or below.
It's at 475 now, maybe something to clean it up so it'll run a strong 465..
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.