More actuator questions....
05-26-2021, (Subject: More actuator questions.... ) 
More actuator questions....
Hello all, 2012 Volvo, CM2250, 500hp, 1850 torque, 825K.
Long story short. My actuator is sticking. When it does I have no jakes, no throttle response,...
The last instance, a few days ago, I had to smack the side of the actuator while running the turbo hysterious test on insite. Once I heard it move it passed the test and drove home perfectly with no logged faults.

Today: I took the actuator apart per Rawze’s video series. The actuator has 438k miles on it and I was surprised to see it looked pretty good inside. All the bearings still have some grease, as did the turbo sector gear. There is little to no anodizing in the coolant chamber, and both assembled and disassembled everything seems to rotate smooth. The wiring harness looks good. I have not tested the circuit board yet with a multimeter.

My question is with no “smoking gun bearings” what could be making this thing stick where I can smack it and it will break free???

Rawze, have you ever encountered an actuator with a bad motor???

Anybody have any ideas on the best place to get a replacement. I understand the bearings are hard to get right now and if it a bad spot on the motor armature that wouldn’t help anyway.

Does YTS sell actuators as well as turbos??

Thanks in advance, JMBT

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
RE: More actuator questions....
Most likely the vibrations are carrying down into the turbo and it's the turbo sticking. And yes YTS does have actuators...so long as he wasn't out of cores to reman. Otherwise S. rebuilds them at the Rawze compound. Lol
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
And remember. Things that move well cold don't necessarily move while hot.
replyreply
Thanks man! My turbo has 377k on it and the sector gear seams to move smoothly! There is no abnormal play in the turbo shaft. Rawze told me S is having truoble sourcing the bearings so she is not rebuilding any right now. I think I will cal YTS tomorrow. Who do I ask for there??

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
Yiyito lol
replyreply
Reason I say things might not move hot is i did a friend's turbo in the driveway and we did not do the actuator because it spun easily by hand. Every hour after it would seize up and have no throttle response and belch smoke. 9nce it cooled down for a couple hour he could move it for another hour then repeat. New actuator fixed it but he had to pay Cummins prices.
replyreply
I wonder how hard it'd be to machine some bearings from oilite material.
replyreply
Yikes!! Well that’s good to know. After watching Rawze vid series I had planned on rebuilding mine but now I just don’t know. What if the motor has a bad spot on the armature? I had a $20 floor fan in the house that I rebuilt about three times over ten years. What finally got it was a bad spot on the armature. It just wasn’t worth it in the end to rebuild it anymore! Lol

replyreply
If it passes all the tests cold I'm betting it's just a bearing seizing while hot
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.