DPF Replacement
06-03-2021, (Subject: DPF Replacement ) 
DPF Replacement
2015 Freightliner Cascadia - DD15 EV in it. Truck has 569,864 miles. Driver came back home with a check engine light and codes. We ran the truck through our local mechanic and he suggested a forced regen. After the regen was performed, the check engine remained and codes did not go away. He recommended we clean the DPF filters. We decided to get a second opinion from another shop. They came back with an expensive diagnostic. They want to replace the filters instead of cleaning them. I review Rawze's articles on EGR tune up (I was clueless that was even an option) and determine that we will do that regardless of what the dealership is saying. My question is..... assuming that replacing the DPF filters gets me back on the road, can I purchase them and replace them myself? Also, I lack the computer system and or software to reprogram the computer with the new filter parts. Any recommendations? I attached two pictures to help understand what is going on.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

Image(s)
./uploads/202106/post_5559_1622778261_1094ca4ebbb20c1e382a9e0b69cfcc3c.jpg

User's Signature: TRUCK365
G-Man
replyreply
06-03-2021, (Subject: DPF Replacement ) 
RE: DPF Replacement
Without diag equipment, you’re at a shops mercy. It could be a number of things. P11 means clean, P12 means replace. When you go to a shop ask what the code suggests. Do some research via YouTube and forums. Try to get a good idea of after treatment possibilities and just talk to the shop foreman or manager or whatever. Hope this helps a little.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: TRUCK365
06-04-2021, (Subject: DPF Replacement ) 
(assuming it may be similar to cummins?, as DD15's use cimmuns after-treatment systems)...
Why not have then baked, de-ashed, and flow tested on proper machinery... then reset the ecm and let it know you replaced the filters with new.?. The ecm must be reset to go along with external filter cleanings. It has a soot counter in it that does not count down unless you perform the resets properly.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: TRUCK365
06-12-2021, (Subject: DPF Replacement ) 
So, since Rawze didn't go through his usual routine, I'll add this:

The DPF just catches the soot, it doesn't produce it. At that age, with typical abuse, the DPF/DOC are probably approaching the end of their functional life. However, an EGR tune-up is a must as well as running the engine with the exhaust disconnected to check for excessive soot or oil/coolant which can all lead to repeated clogging issues, even with a new DPF/DOC. Find and fix any issues with the engine so that the aftertreatment systems can all function properly.

Also, that service quote seems off to me. Either they are charging you way too much to remove and clean the DPF/DOC or they are planning to sell you a super cheap aftermarket DPF/DOC (or just a cheap DPF) which will NOT perform to the standards that an OEM system expects. Even aftermarket DPF's usually go for $4-5k (though maybe the core is bringing the cost down a little?). Maybe my parts knowledge doesn't correspond to your model truck/dpf, but I'd expect a full DOC/DPF replacement, with labor, to run over $7k up to maybe $12k.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.