Cm870 starts then shuts off,starts back up with a puff off white smoke and stays runn
06-13-2021, (Subject: Cm870 starts then shuts off,starts back up with a puff off white smoke and stays runn ) 
RE: Cm870 starts then shuts off,starts back up with a puff off white smoke and stays runn
Here’s the fault that came up.The fuel one I was able to erase but once it went through wanting to shut down after starting up.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
06-14-2021, (Subject: Cm870 starts then shuts off,starts back up with a puff off white smoke and stays runn ) 
RE: Cm870 starts then shuts off,starts back up with a puff off white smoke and stays runn
Will the lift pump cause the low fuel pressure at start up?
replyreply
06-14-2021, (Subject: Cm870 starts then shuts off,starts back up with a puff off white smoke and stays runn ) 
(06-14-2021 )Redland1 Wrote:  Will the lift pump cause the low fuel pressure at start up?

If it is going bad it will... yes. .. so will that screen located right at at the intake of the electric lift pump on older 870's too... hence Why I asked you 2 times already if you had removed that screen.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Redland1
(06-14-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  
(06-14-2021 )Redland1 Wrote:  Will the lift pump cause the low fuel pressure at start up?

If it is going bad it will... yes. .. so will that screen located right at at the intake of the electric lift pump on older 870's too... hence Why I asked you 2 times already if you had removed that screen.

I missed the part where you asked about the screen.I’m going to go look at it now.Once I unhook that line will it dump a bunch of fuel?
replyreply
06-15-2021, (Subject: Cm870 starts then shuts off,starts back up with a puff off white smoke and stays runn ) 
There wasn’t a screen filter on the lift pump inlet.Also looked at rail pressure before cranking and it was 17psi and 270 while idling for 15 minutes and the lowest it dropped was 258.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
06-15-2021, (Subject: Cm870 starts then shuts off,starts back up with a puff off white smoke and stays runn ) 
(06-15-2021 )Redland1 Wrote:  ... 270 while idling for 15 minutes and the lowest it dropped was 258.

that is normal pressures.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(06-15-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  
(06-15-2021 )Redland1 Wrote:  ... 270 while idling for 15 minutes and the lowest it dropped was 258.

that is normal pressures.

Anything else that can be causing that low fuel pressure code to come one intermittently?
replyreply
06-16-2021, (Subject: Cm870 starts then shuts off,starts back up with a puff off white smoke and stays runn ) 
Have you checked your main gear pump? We have had reports on here where the pump shaft was sheered off but was still able to produce adequate fuel pressures to run the truck.

Also crappy/clogged fuel filters cause this symptom.
replyreply
06-17-2021, (Subject: Cm870 starts then shuts off,starts back up with a puff off white smoke and stays runn ) 
Fuel filters have a weeks worth of fuel through them.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.