Valve adjustment after overhual
08-13-2016, (Subject: Valve adjustment after overhual ) 
Valve adjustment after overhual
After overhual or cylinder head replacement valves must be adjusted after 60,000. This is when the valves set in there seat and lose there clearance. This will cause major cam damage. After this first adjustment then they can be done at about 200,000 mile intervals.
replyreply
RE: Valve adjustment after overhual
Is that across the board 60k miles or does it differ on hp rating and usage? ( heavy haul vs light running ect)
replyreply
I would say across the board and on all engine makes not just isx.
replyreply
08-14-2016, (Subject: Valve adjustment after overhual ) 
Yes, hp doesn't matter. The valves seat at the same rate. 400 hp or 600 hp the valves still open and close, wearing them in, at the same rate. Only thing that would change that is gear ratio but not by a whole lot. Just my opinion.
replyreply
08-14-2016, (Subject: Valve adjustment after overhual ) 
(08-13-2016 )gearhead Wrote:  I would say across the board and on all engine makes not just isx.
I agree with this completely. Cam lobes are not variable. The valves open to full lift on every single cam rotation, whether at idle, or at 1800rpm full pull on the hill. The variable is fuel and charge air pressure, so the valves do not see one ounce of stress relief no matter the engine state.
But, you cannot convince some people. I have friends that will not listen to reason, they just say "Cummins says it's good for 300k, so that's what I'll do." I've even volunteered to run them on their motors for free, but they say if I do it, it will void the warrantee...lmao, how the he77 will cummins ever know I ran an overhead in their motor? You can't convince everyone...
I now have mine scheduled as an annual service item, I rarely break 100k miles/yr.
If you own your own truck, you should know how to perform this procedure. It is the simplest internal engine mechanical servicing one can do, and it allows you to visually inspect some of the the most critical engine components regularly to prevent major issues down the road.
I also advise changing the Jake rocker check valve springs when you perform this procedure as I'm convinced it will prolong the life of the rocker shafts preventing detent hole and check valve wear, and keep your Jakes as strong as possible. The springs cost $45 for a complete set,mother shafts are almost $600, pretty simple math.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.