2008 ISX major turbo squealing
08-14-2016, (Subject: 2008 ISX major turbo squealing ) 
RE: 2008 ISX major turbo squealing
(08-14-2016 )Mr Hagg Wrote:  That is not from boost leaking but rather exhaust back pressure. Thats why here we block off the pipe before the cooler.

I know I need too, and I've been looking since day one. I just haven't found anything quite yet that I think would work.
replyreply
08-15-2016, (Subject: 2008 ISX major turbo squealing ) 
Water in that circuit is normal. It is just condensation because the circuit is no longer used.

Most likely a weak clamp at that joint. Just put a better clamp on it or double clamp it.

Be careful about installing a blocking device at the exhaust side of the at the EGR cooler,... most of them sold off the Internet are not of good quality stainless, or are made from regular steel and will eventually rust through and destroy the turbo when they do. Rust eventually flakes off of them and goes through the vanes. It needs to be of good quality stainless.

I Think Mr. Hag's are made form good stainless last I heard. Maybe get one from him sometime when you go through atlanta as a backup plan. In the mean time, putting better clamps should fix that leak.
replyreply
(08-15-2016 )Marajin Wrote:  Water in that circuit is normal. It is just condensation because the circuit is no longer used.

Most likely a weak clamp at that joint. Just put a better clamp on it or double clamp it.

Be careful about installing a blocking device at the EGR cooler,... most of them sold are not of good quality stainless, or are made from regular steel and will eventually rust through and destroy the turbo when they do.

I Think Mr. Hag's are made form good stainless last I heard. Maybe get one from him sometime when you go through atlanta.

Thanks for the info! I was thinking of making an aluminum one instead of stainless, bad idea?
I replaced both clamps on that Venturi boot today. Im still searching for my boost leak, nothing is loose or seems to be broke. My CAC passed a pressure test. Now I'm going to start looking for cracks. I also need to replace my turbo because of oil in the clean side.
replyreply
(08-15-2016 )389guy Wrote:  Thanks for the info! I was thinking of making an aluminum one instead of stainless, bad idea?
I replaced both clamps on that Venturi boot today. Im still searching for my boost leak, nothing is loose or seems to be broke. My CAC passed a pressure test. Now I'm going to start looking for cracks. I also need to replace my turbo because of oil in the clean side.

it looks like your "bolt" is of the right material, that is all you need on the intake side,...

All 100% high quality 304-stainless bolt, fender washers, lock washer, and nut.

Stainless Steel Cap Screws 3/8 " X 5 " Coarse Hex Head : https://amzn.to/2UA2TKz

830626 Stainless Steel 3/8 x 1-1/2-Inch Fender Washers : https://amzn.to/3f4VkoM

830670 Stainless Steel 3/8-Inch Split Lock Washer : https://amzn.to/3nvqb0I

829604 3/8 by 16-Inch Stainless Steel Heavy Hex Nut : https://amzn.to/3lFgBb5

On the exhaust side, it is optional, but it is nice to have one installed..

Aluminum is a Very bad idea. Corona in the exhaust gases at 600+ degrees will etch through it in only a couple months and it will come apart, taking the turbo with it. It takes at least 304 stainless steel to hold up to it, and even then, it needs to be thick in the center so that it absorbs heat and reduces this effect.

I am pretty sure that Rawze helped Mr. Hag design one that protects against this very problem.

I have seen quite a few home-made block plates made from aluminum, steel, etc. etched right through, especially aluminum plates. it didn't matter if they were in the intake or at the exhaust side. I have also seen many sold from the Internet that were steel, or galvanized that etch through and cause major problems too. One guy I know went through 4 turbochargers in less than 3 weeks because he never suspected his block-plate was coming apart.

======

If you are getting that proverbial "metal baloon" sounding squeal, it is not likely in those circuits, but rather the turbo mounting gasket or a manifold gasket. Everyone seems to always accuse the turbo itself, and think it is the turbine squealing, but it is extremely rare for it to actually be that.

Tags:
venturi bolt, venturi block, egr block, 871 venturi, 304 bolt, block plate
replyreply
(08-14-2016 )Mr Hagg Wrote:  That is not from boost leaking but rather exhaust back pressure.

Mr Hagg

Can you put up a picture or describe in more detail what you do ? What do you use to make your plate?
replyreply
(08-15-2016 )Marajin Wrote:  
(08-15-2016 )389guy Wrote:  Thanks for the info! I was thinking of making an aluminum one instead of stainless, bad idea?

it looks like your "bolt" is of the right material, that is all you need on the intake side,... On the exhaust side, it is optional, but it is nice to have one installed..

Aluminum is a Very bad idea. Corona in the exhaust gases at 600+ degrees will etch through it in only a couple months and it will come apart, taking the turbo with it. It takes at least 304 stainless steel to hold up to it, and even then, it needs to be thick in the center so that it absorbs heat and reduces this effect.

I am pretty sure that Rawze helped Mr. Hag design one that protects against this very problem.

I have seen quite a few home-made block plates made from aluminum, steel, etc. etched right through, especially aluminum plates. it didn't matter if they were in the intake or at the exhaust side. I have also seen many sold from the Internet that were steel, or galvanized that etch through and cause major problems too. One guy I know went through 4 turbochargers in less than 3 weeks because he never suspected his block-plate was coming apart.

======

If you are getting that proverbial "metal baloon" sounding squeal, it is not likely in those circuits, but rather the turbo mounting gasket or a manifold gasket. Everyone seems to always accuse the turbo itself, and think it is the turbine squealing, but it is extremely rare for it to actually be that.

Thanks for the heads up on the aluminum plugs. Definitely don't want that headache! And yes, the bolt I have in there is stainless.
replyreply
My turbo read over speeding and over boosting after mandate removal, and was throwing a code for it, but was hanging up on big pulls, changed turbo and max is now 38 psi. Was not a problem with program at all. Turbo didn't look bad at all when we took it apart, just wasn't acting right hot...just saying.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.