Another oil temp thread cm2350 3
06-16-2021, (Subject: Another oil temp thread cm2350 3 ) 
Another oil temp thread cm2350 3
Another oil temp thread cm2350

I have read several of people complaining about high oil temp on these engines -like 250* I was told locally that there is more than one oil stat for the isx15 and that earlier versions were typically cooler. Anytime mine is working hard in this 100*+ heat , which can be close to an hour between small towns, uphill, heavy and wind, mine sits right at the redline 250 or so. Cools back to 240 or so going through town, then back up. Water temp never exceeds 209 no matter what. Cools down as it should when fan kicks on. If you lock fan on oil temp will come down to 235 or 240 but not during normal cycling.
I was told a cooler oil stat would help considerably. We work our trucks hard and change oil every 10-12k miles. 250 continuously seems it would really take a toll on conventional oil. Does anyone know a part number for a cooler stat? Thanks.
replyreply
06-16-2021, (Subject: Another oil temp thread cm2350 3 ) 
RE: Another oil temp thread cm2350 3
* something is wrong with your engine, your existing oil cooler, etc. ... or you have a bad delete (most of the time if it is easy to get the oil above 235~ish / overheating oil, its due to a bad delete).

FIX THE PROBLEMS!!!! ---- and don't try to cover them up with extra oil coolers.

One way or another.. YOUR TORTURING THAT ENGINE IF IT IS GETTING THAT HOT! ... 240+F is a serious issue!!! ..nonetheless 250+.

What is your boost getting to?

What is your EGT's? getting to?

Is that thing de-mandated? and if so,... when is the last time you had the program reviewed by myself to ensure it is safe four engine and what your using that engine for?

As far as I know ... Even the extreme heavy-haul guys on here do not see oil temps like that unless something is wrong!

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
06-17-2021, (Subject: Another oil temp thread cm2350 3 ) 
Yes it is demandated. Runs cooler in all aspects than it did before except pyrometer. Which I have no problem keeping under 950. I run with an x15 565 daily and he has 3.36 rears to my my 3.70s. His is all stock. His runs same oil temp.Always has. 380k on it emissions 100% intact. Difference is he trades for new between 350 and 400k. Doesn'twork on them himself. Not since the 3408 have engines in this line of work typically exceeded. 5 or 600k miles without major work. Not that they were any sort of an engineering feat by any means. Sucked fuel, heavy and very intolerant to overheating. BUT, they had much more cooling capacity, short term - because of mass-long term because of increased volume of coolant and oil.. I have read volumes of information here on bad deletes and will agree I have a bad one and am trying my best to get things in order to get and learn insite, etc so I can have some of you more knowledgeable people help me correct these issues. I cannot however just put everything on hold til it gets done. Engine was gone through at 380k over low protrusion. Raised to something like .014 iirc?. Has 810k on it now so it is likely due for inframe soon anyway. I watch boost, water temp, pyro etc closely as I was raised to do. Oil temp is the only thing that shows anything of major concern. It runs 235-240 in this heat empty. Maybe down around 220 at night if wind isnt blowing. I know alot of guys with isx15s cm2250 and 2350 and none of them run less than 235 loaded. Cummins techs here all say normal til you exceed 250 and that there are more than one stat for oil on these engines. ( here say to me) So I thought you guys might know a part number or angine sn I could use to get one. Yes we torture our engines on a near daily basis when we go west loaded. Not near as bad going north or south as elevation is more consistent. We are not out here racing. We are 85-90k gross gaining 2-3000 ft in elevation in the last 200miles of most trips. 70% of the time in a 20+mph head or crosswind. The loads are time critical in the heat and the weight is constantly moving around changing the pressure on suspension from side to side adding exponentially to rolling resistance. Aerodynamics of trailers is a joke and sometimes pull harder in a crosswind than when loaded. All this just in maintaining 65-70mph running with traffic.
replyreply
(06-17-2021 )W9L Wrote:  Yes it is demandated. Runs cooler in all aspects than it did before except pyrometer. Which I have no problem keeping under 950. I run with an x15 565 daily and he has 3.36 rears to my my 3.70s. His is all stock. His runs same oil temp.Always has. 380k on it emissions 100% intact. Difference is he trades for new between 350 and 400k. Doesn'twork on them himself. Not since the 3408 have engines in this line of work typically exceeded. 5 or 600k miles without major work. Not that they were any sort of an engineering feat by any means. Sucked fuel, heavy and very intolerant to overheating. BUT, they had much more cooling capacity, short term - because of mass-long term because of increased volume of coolant and oil.. I have read volumes of information here on bad deletes and will agree I have a bad one and am trying my best to get things in order to get and learn insite, etc so I can have some of you more knowledgeable people help me correct these issues. I cannot however just put everything on hold til it gets done. Engine was gone through at 380k over low protrusion. Raised to something like .014 iirc?. Has 810k on it now so it is likely due for inframe soon anyway. I watch boost, water temp, pyro etc closely as I was raised to do. Oil temp is the only thing that shows anything of major concern. It runs 235-240 in this heat empty. Maybe down around 220 at night if wind isnt blowing. I know alot of guys with isx15s cm2250 and 2350 and none of them run less than 235 loaded. Cummins techs here all say normal til you exceed 250 and that there are more than one stat for oil on these engines. ( here say to me) So I thought you guys might know a part number or angine sn I could use to get one. Yes we torture our engines on a near daily basis when we go west loaded. Not near as bad going north or south as elevation is more consistent. We are not out here racing. We are 85-90k gross gaining 2-3000 ft in elevation in the last 200miles of most trips. 70% of the time in a 20+mph head or crosswind. The loads are time critical in the heat and the weight is constantly moving around changing the pressure on suspension from side to side adding exponentially to rolling resistance. Aerodynamics of trailers is a joke and sometimes pull harder in a crosswind than when loaded. All this just in maintaining 65-70mph running with traffic.

YOUR LISTENING TO THE WRONG PEOPLE!!!... NOTHING YOU SAY HERE IS NORMAL AT ALL AND YOU ARE DRINKING THE COOL-AIEDE1 PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!! -- YOUR TORTURING YOUR ENGINE AND SO IS ALL THE IDIOTS WHO ARE TELLING YOU THAT IT IS NORMAL TO0 HAVE THAT KIND OF SHORT ENGINE LIFE AND THAT KIND OF HIGH TEMPS ALL THE TIME!!!!.

YOU HAVE SOME SERIOUS ISSUES THERE AND SOME OF THOSE PROBLEMS SEEM TO BE ALSO IN YOUR HEAD DUE TO LISTENING TO THE IDIOTS OUT THERE WHO SAY SUCH GARBAGE!@.

AND YEAH... IT IS THAT SERIOUS ... GET THAT PROGRAMMING LOOKED AT BEFORE YOU TORTURE YOUR ENGINE ANOTHER MILE!!!.... STOP PROCRASTINATING AND MAKING EXCUSES... ITS YOUR EQUIPMENT THAT YOUR ABUSING ON A DAILY BASIS OTHERWISE... GET THAT NOTION OUT OF YOUR HEAD OF TELLING EVERYONE YOUR RED ENGINE IS S#IT AND THAT YOUR TORTURING IT AND ABUSING IT IS SOMETHING NORMAL... IT IS NOT! --- WELL---IT IS SH#IT WHEN YOU ABUSE IT LIKE THAT!!!

I can buy a brand new drill at the hardware store... the best brand out there... and if I plug it into s#$it power source and it burns up... IT IS NOT THE FAULT OF THE DRILL!!!... IT IS THE OWNERS FAULT FOR ABUSING IT!

HOW@ MUCH YOU WANT TO BET THAT I can take that truck.. those loads... and that engine and get a million+ out of it (or damn near it, bare minimum) ... and it never see those excess oil temps like that, or those pre-maturely fretted liners,.. etc.!

- And if one man can do it... so can another!... it is simply getting the right plan and strategy together to achieve it!.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
250+ the oil will start to break down alot faster and not do its job lubricating the engine
rule of thumb everything should not exceed engine temp (not by much if any)
replyreply
 Thanks given by: W9L
It is your forum. I am a contributor. That doesnt mean I can say what I want. You have tunnel vision 0when it comes to abusing equipment. I have the 1st truck I ever owned. A 1993 with a mechanical cat. Uses no more fuel than the newer truck whether it is bobtail or grossing 90k. Through meticulous maintenance i have maintained it all these years. I have always put the mechanics and safety care far far ahead of aesthetics. I know my older truck very well by now. I am trying to learn the new one. You constantly railing on me about abuse without really knowing who i am or what I do with a truck is hard for me to understand. I would love to take u up on that bet.
replyreply
06-18-2021, (Subject: Another oil temp thread cm2350 3 ) 
The fact that you're getting heated at rawze means his intentions are working. And that is not to simply anger you for his amusement. It's to anger you so you think long and hard about what he said. It makes his words last in your mind as you do your thing. Its to be that nagging voice you think of while the concern that you brought to us is going on infront of you. It IS to actually bring some doubt and question in to your life so that maybe you'll push back at things you've normally done and start to see if what he suggested holds some weight or truth.

It's a long subtle not so subtle game that he plays FOR YOUR BENIFIT not his. Keep that in mind as you continue. Carry on. :-)
replyreply
(06-17-2021 )W9L Wrote:  It is your forum. I am a contributor. That doesnt mean I can say what I want. You have tunnel vision 0when it comes to abusing equipment. I have the 1st truck I ever owned. A 1993 with a mechanical cat. Uses no more fuel than the newer truck whether it is bobtail or grossing 90k. Through meticulous maintenance i have maintained it all these years. I have always put the mechanics and safety care far far ahead of aesthetics. I know my older truck very well by now. I am trying to learn the new one. You constantly railing on me about abuse without really knowing who i am or what I do with a truck is hard for me to understand. I would love to take u up on that bet.

If your serious about actually being meticulous then by now, you should be scared... downright concerned that YES, YOU ARE ABUSING YOUR EQUIPMENT, and that it has been pointed out at this point. Highly abusive oil temps and (most likely bad) unknown programming, liners fretting prematurely in an ISX is NOT the norm. There are some serious issues going on within your thinking or with whoever those morons who you've been inter-acting and listening to in the past if that is what you think.

Seem your also living in the past with that post, and that does not yield itself to moving towards the future at all. I hate to break it to everyone but ... THAT ISX IS NOT PAINTED YELLOW ... LEARNING HOW TO TAKE CARE OF IT IS WHAT I AM EMPHASIZING STRONGLY on here. THESE MODERN ENGINES CAN QUICKLY GO SIDEWAYS IF THINGS ARE NOT DONE EXACTLY RIGHT!

The more someone keeps bragging about old yellow there, and this perpetual trucks-of-yester-year ways of thinking, and not getting with that modern way of doing things ... THAT IS THE PERPETUAL DOWNFALL OF A LOT OF TRUCK OWNERS, ESPECIALLY PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN AROUND IT FOR MANY YEARS.. AND ALL THEIR MECHANIC FRIENDS TOO!!!

--- THAT ISX IS EITHER YOUR NEW BEST FRIEND... BY TAKING CARE IF IT AND DOING EVERYTHING 100% PROPERLY ... OR YOUR WORST ENEMY IF YOU GIVE IT ONE DAMN EXCUSE TO BE SO!. - THAT RED CRY-BABY IS WHAT YOU NOW OWN, SO YEAH, I MAKE A STRONG POINT ... when by the second or third post of what should be happening for it is said, and it is not sinking in yet for someone.

Properly cared for equipment DOES NOT FAIL LIKE THAT all the time. I say those things that no one wants to hear about, face, or talk about, simply because it often IS A PART OF THE PROBLEM ITSELF!. If you have been lurking on here, then you know that you likely have been avoiding that very conversation that you likely knew the answer to ... and what my reaction was already going to be by now.

THESE MODERN RED CRY-BABIES HAVE BOUNDARIES... Do not cross them and these red cry-babies will live a long, profitable, happy life ... BUT YOU CROSS THEM EVEN a LITTLE>..AND ITS PROBLEM CITY!

There are proper ways to do things. There are proper ways to solve and stop severe and well known repeating engine problems in their tracks with these newer style of engine. They are mechanical devices, and there is very little to no variance in them. OPERATE them within their expected range of known-to-be-reliable operation, do things for them 100% right and without compromise and 99% of all the problems go away. Plain and simple.

On the other hand if someone treats one like they did their old yellow turd... and ignoring regular tune-up work, regular sensor replacements, lugging it everywhere below 1500RPM, not taking a wrench (and the occasional lap-top) to it regularly like what is recommended on here,... and instead trying to make it act like its painted yellow ... treating it in the ways like the yellow beasts of yester-year ... then they will have nothing but problems and they will learn the hard ways that a RED ENGINE IS NOT A DAMN YELLOW ENGINE!... I tend to tell people to STOP LIVING IN THE DAMN PAST... THOSE DAYS ARE GONE NOW!!!...

GET WITH THE MODERN TIMES WHERE YOU OWN AN ISX = YOU OWN A LAPTOP, TOOLS, ETC. AND THE MEANS TO CARE FOR IT PROPERLY!!!! as YOU WILL MAKE FAR MORE MONEY with it when things are done right. - OR, you can continue to run it into the ground by the things you are doing to it like the rest of the fools you seem to have taken advice from in your past at some point,.. and then proceed to blame (like the drill scenario above) that power-drill's design failures all the time ... when all along ... you refuse to see that it is the S$IT power-source you have plugged it into, the excessive downwards force that bogs and burns up the motor because of some 800+lb ape who burned it up in no time due to bearing down on it like a fool instead of allowing the power to do the work instead of excessive force and torque, expecting it to put up with that torture all the time relentlessly ... don't know how to use that drill., etc... and then gets mad when someone else comes along, grabs you by the proverbial arm, and points out the obvious.

- I AM that grumpy guy everyone gets annoyed and aggravated at for having the veracity to dare to point out these things. - Someone has to say it at some point ... otherwise, why even ask to begin with? .. I AM that person who dares to say what people do not want to hear and criticize the norm and narrative... I am one of those (proud to be) morons from the late 60's / early 70's, my generation cut our teeth on hating all official types of authority ... hates to be told what to do,... was brought up to question dammed everything, and assume something is s#it unless proven otherwise. and that if something is not working out,... knuckling down harder and getting to the bottom of WHY!... even if it means tearing into something and re-making it from scratch... cuz' I was always that poor stubborn bas$tard dude that never owned anything that to me -- "New" meant that it was had from a junk-yard and re-built... cuz I have never had anything in my life handed to me ... ever.

- Take what I am telling you and others on here and learn from it ... that is its purpose. So that the next guy who comes along can be that much wiser up front, does not have to suffer the fate of premature failures, fretted liners, over-heating oil, burned-up turbo's, and all the narrative that the collections of super-trucker (Stupid-trucker) morons who abuse their equipment are doing. I shout and shake people on here to wake them up and let them know to BE THAT ONE PERSON who breaks away from that horrible place, learn the truth, and see the light that is being discussed on my forum here. -- BECAUSE IT HAS SAVED MANY-A TRUCK-OWNERS ARSSES from that same fate on here.

This place is not here so that people can continue to dwell on the past and its perceived greatness, but to help get some stubborn old-man's (myself) and others opinions, advice for looking into the future, learn how to work with "the new norms" instead of against THEM ... and how to make it as profitable for someone in their trucking business endeavours as it can be long term.

replyreply
Ive talked to Rawze on the phone many times, yes he will get a little heated and drill it in ya head a bit lol
Im oem certified Cummins tech been working on them for years BUT I will tell you just as Rawze if I get stumped on something I will call his ass lol and he usally will open a new insite on where to look if not flat out tell me where the problem is
If you want to learn about these engines your in the right place just dont take it personal if he scolds you a bit for being hard headed lol
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.