ISX15 - CM2350 - DOC Leak - Next Steps?
06-18-2021, (Subject: ISX15 - CM2350 - DOC Leak - Next Steps? ) 
ISX15 - CM2350 - DOC Leak - Next Steps?
Hi Folks. Doing my weekly checks with Insite on the units we run, the 2014 we have started showing higher differential pressure numbers on the aftertreatment history (2.0-3.5 range). It was time for it to be flow tested and baked anyways. Took it to the stealersh*t (the service lady is super nice at least), and they told me the DOC is leaking and I need a new one (6,700 CAD). I said nice, don't touch it anymore.

1. Is this a leaking DOC?
2. Is the only option 6,700 dollars?
3. No codes related to this have come up.
4. Is it worth baking the DPF and running DOC as is or am I jumping over a penny for a dollar.

Thanks for your opinions.
replyreply
06-18-2021, (Subject: ISX15 - CM2350 - DOC Leak - Next Steps? ) 
RE: ISX15 - CM2350 - DOC Leak - Next Steps?
Maybe Rawze has more experience/knowledge to share, but my guess is if it's leaking it's likely due to the higher exhaust pressure. Could be at the end of it's functional life and the catalyst is no longer sufficient leading to DPF and DOC clogging up and creating higher pressures. Could also be face plugging on the DOC causing higher pressures, however I think you would have noticed that when it was removed/inspected. A good welder might be able to reseal it, but something caused the leak to form and my money is on

MY OPINION is that, assuming they are the same age, if the DOC needs to be replaced then the DPF is likely to be in the same situation. From what I've seen it appears they typically need replacing somewhere in the 400,000-600,000 mile range depending on maintenance and abuse history.

As to your numbered questions:
1 - Hard to see, but probably.
2 - Go with an OEM option for proper performance
3 - By the time codes pop up something is really wrong.
4 - If the DOC is leaking then it's throwing ALL the sensor reading off. Restrictions are higher then they seem since some of the pressure is being relieved by the leak. Calculations by the ECM are based on inaccurate data and therefore not optimal, at best.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
06-19-2021, (Subject: ISX15 - CM2350 - DOC Leak - Next Steps? ) 
RE: ISX15 - CM2350 - DOC Leak - Next Steps?
(06-18-2021 )Hermjeji Wrote:  ... they told me the DOC is leaking and I need a new one (6,700 CAD)

If I am not mistaken, there are small hole at the bottom of those units for water drainiage. Is that where that tiny bit of soot is comming from?

- That looks like something barely leaking to me as well... not enough to cause any issues... but of course, the Stealers$it is going to tell you that it needs replacing no matter what if there is even a hint of soot... that is their job!... due to liability, because if fuel from the doser injector collects and gets onto the outside of that unit, then it ignites... truck has chance to burn to the ground. That, and if you fall alseep at the wheel one night and kill yourself or someone else.. and carbon monoxide is found in your blood.. that stealer#shi#t would be responsible if it had recently been worked on. <- Like I said... their doing their job... they make the most expensive call on it, that is how they make their moneys.

- I would say that your problem is that you took it to them to begin with. Should have pulled the units yourself and taken them to have baked, de-ashed, flow tested and called it a day... making the decision you own if you want to replace it due to what looks like to me a tiny bit of soot from the weep hole in the bottom of it (or a tiny stress crack that can be welded up in 2 minutes).... but that is just me. Anyone with a welder can fix a tiny leak like that in no time vs. nearly $7k for a new one if the element is still good.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.