cm2250 ISX 15 gushing coolant from res...
06-23-2021, (Subject: cm2250 ISX 15 gushing coolant from res... ) 
RE: cm2250 ISX 15 gushing coolant from res...
The key to running the loose coolant cap is to keep enough coolant in the system to keep the engine from overheating and be shutdown or burnt up from it over heating. Also you have to watch that the low coolant code doesn't shut you down or derate you to make the truck impossible to operate at any reasonable public road way speed.

If the engine is already going in for an inframe due to a dropped liner then the name of the game is keep the pressure out of the coolant system as to not let coolant be pushed into the engine oil. This will cause even more internal problems like wiping out the main bearing and screwing up the crankshaft. This would make the inframe and out if frame or straight up engine replacement.

Then you have keep the derates and shutdown codes happy so you can keep creeping to your destination. If your running the truck low on coolant by a few gallons it won't hurt anything. Most trucks have 12-15 gallons in the system. Being shy a few gallons will keep the engine cool enough as to not cause damage. As long as you're as absolutely gentle on it as you can be.

If I were you I'd put a jumper wire in the low coolant sensor to trick it into thinking its always full. Take the truck for a short bobtail test drive maybe 10-20 miles to see if you can keep it running and coolant level descent enough to not cause more damage. If you can do that, then load up on a pile of the cheapest coolant to be had and a pile of distilled water. Then start the journey with the frame of mind that if it gets out of control at any point you will call a tow truck from a much closer point to your destination. You will have to stop frequently to check the coolant and add when necessary. Your coolant temp gauge will tell you everything that's going on with the system. Too hot where the fan comes on then your probably really low on coolant. Stop immediately and add more coolant. But don't wait for the fan to come on to stop and add coolant. Stop frequently to check. You may find that the system only vomits 1-2 gallons and then holds the rest without overheating. That is good. It allows you continue your journey.

But this is just me and I have full understanding of what's happening and I'm really good with Jerry rigging things out on the road to get to my destination.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
Mine as puking coolant pretty good, but once I got running it really settled down and operated normally. I put less than two gallons in by time I arrived in Griffin, 700+ miles. I brought a couple of cases of coolant with me along with my tools... Pretty cramped in the truck, but we made it.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
(06-23-2021 )Waterloo Wrote:  Mine as puking coolant pretty good, but once I got running it really settled down and operated normally. I put less than two gallons in by time I arrived in Griffin, 700+ miles. I brought a couple of cases of coolant with me along with my tools... Pretty cramped in the truck, but we made it.

My injector cups went on my Prostar a long time ago. I was getting fuel in the antifreeze and the fuel eats the hoses. I found this out on the way to DC with a load of 60 foot. I took a small drill bit and drilled a hole in the center of the cap. I know you're issue is different but it's an idea.
replyreply
Get Towed...Don't risk damaging the engine block

./uploads/202106/post_678_1624456304_8f2e3a91f70186596f92b365278a6ce4.jpeg./uploads/202106/post_678_1624456271_5a7fdf6786a7c13b14e996d0c6958290.jpeg

User's Signature: In the immortal words of Romeo as he gazed upon Juliet's eyes..."Wait...We Drank What?!"
replyreply
(06-23-2021 )Hedley Wrote:  Get Towed...Don't risk damaging the engine block

I don't think that kind of damage was done in the final lightly driven 500 miles before that engine made it to the shop. If there is that kind of damage it had already started long before then.
replyreply
Isx don't like to be overheated.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.