Freightliner Columbia 12.7 inframe
06-25-2021, (Subject: Freightliner Columbia 12.7 inframe ) 
RE: Freightliner Columbia 12.7 inframe
(06-24-2021 )Eby6114 Wrote:  I found this company, seems fair priced but welcome a second opinion.
Our Elite Heavy Duty Rebuild kits includes the following parts:

1. Complete Inframe Overhaul Kit (includes liner kits, piston kits, rod & main bearings, and a complete inframe gasket set which includes injector o-rings, head bolts, thermostat and oil pan gasket). No Core returns necessary

2. New loaded aftermarket Detroit Diesel Series 60 Cylinder head. No core charge, no core return. Our castings were engineered and designed in the U.S.A. They are better than OEM quality containing 5% nickel in the casting material. The coolant passages have been enlarged by 30%, and inner ribs have been reinforced to reduce heat stress.ply.

3. New Oil Pump - no core return necessary

4. New Water Pump - no core return necassary

5. Reman Injectors - We do need the core back on this item. Shipping is free both ways. The core deposit is $150.00 each but we don't charge you the core up front. As long as you return the core in 30 days core charges don't apply.

All for the price of $6,895.00! We offer shipping on every single one of our products, there are no extra taxes or fees, this is our low, out the door price.

Red flags! New Head, no core? Full overhaul kit, reman injectors, oil and water pumps, all for less than $7,000?!? That's about half the parts cost for my inframe and I didn't do injectors. Sure, different engines, but the materials and labor for manufacture the parts still cost money and that is ridiculously low! Without the head then it would be more realistic...

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Eby6114
06-25-2021, (Subject: Freightliner Columbia 12.7 inframe ) 
Fitzgerald was rebuilding the Detroits with kits like this, the motors all required an in frame between 100,000 and 200,000 miles. The injectors were junk. When I was staying with Rawze we took a trip to a local company that bought what, 200 Fitzgerald trucks, Rawze will remember... It was a lot of gliders, most if not all had these reman motors with these Chinese parts. Put it this way, they could swap a motor out faster than a NASCAR crew, and rebuild them faster with OEM parts. And that engine stand, it was a beauty with the the rotisserie feature, something I would buy to put in the man cave as a conversation piece, LOL!

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
06-26-2021, (Subject: Freightliner Columbia 12.7 inframe ) 
(06-25-2021 )Waterloo Wrote:  Fitzgerald was rebuilding the Detroits with kits like this, the motors all required an in frame between 100,000 and 200,000 miles. The injectors were junk. When I was staying with Rawze we took a trip to a local company that bought what, 200 Fitzgerald trucks, Rawze will remember... It was a lot of gliders, most if not all had these reman motors with these Chinese parts. Put it this way, they could swap a motor out faster than a NASCAR crew, and rebuild them faster with OEM parts. And that engine stand, it was a beauty with the the rotisserie feature, something I would buy to put in the man cave as a conversation piece, LOL!

i remember that. here is the orig. post...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...8#pid30918

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I have a friend, he is an idiot, who owns a very nice 2004 I believe Freightliner Classic with the condo sleeper... He has nearly 1.4 million or there about miles on this thing. I told him a few years ago he better start sourcing parts for that inevitable in frame, of course he did not. I have also been harping on him to at least take care of the lower end, because one day he is going to ventilate his block.

After hearing what is going on here, I thought you could still get OEM kits for these Detroits... My friend with the million dollar looking chromed and chicken lighted truck may be in for a very rude awakening. He will spend a grand on lipstick and ignore his pig.

How about the bearing kits for the lower end, does Detroit still make or sell those OEM parts for the 12.7?

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
Contrary to previous reports, We have had good results with the {aftermarket name removed} rebuild parts on our Detroit s60. They are becoming obsolete but in my mind one of the best engines built for big trucks and I enjoy running that engine every time I’m in the truck . The durability and reliability has a lot to do with the quality of the work performed and should not be solely based and the parts used. I can rebuild that s60 twice for the cost of one Cummins rebuild. My main truck now has a Cummins and I’ve finally got it right thanks to this forum and I really love running it now as well. I don’t let anyone drive my red motor, the s60 anyone can run it.

User's Signature: 2015 389 Peterbilt. ISX 550 18speed 3.70 gears
replyreply
It seems currently at the moment , parts are really hard to come by. An O/O that I know was having injector issues , he had 1 bad and 2 that where questionable according to his mechanic. He decided to put in all 6, according to his mechanic they could not source them. He has a CM871.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
Every manufacturer is having supply issues. Lots of parts we could just walk in and purchase are on national backorder. I broke a hardened bolt off in a shock mount....it is just a piece of cast metal and it was a 4 week backorder to get it if the put it on truck down status.
replyreply
06-27-2021, (Subject: Freightliner Columbia 12.7 inframe ) 
I'm not arguing that certain things are scarce right now. But from a long history of working both sides of the fence I've found that just because someone tells you something is on national back order doesn't mean it actually is. A lot of times it's just marked back ordered for the guy or company your talking to.

I've literally been told by the KW dealer that something is on national backorder walked outside and called Cummins regional distribution center 30 miles away and they say come on in we have 10 of what you need on the shelf.

I've also had this same scenario play out at various repair shops across the country. They would tell me they can't get a part for a week or more. So I would call some of the big distribution or dealership or other places I know back east and they of course would source me something they could have delivered in a day or 2.

Don't take their word for it. Parts guys only know what their screen says. The really good parts guys get the books out. Including the phone book and make calls to people outside of what their screen says.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo , Nostalgic
06-27-2021, (Subject: Freightliner Columbia 12.7 inframe ) 
I ran into this problem with a few paccar parts. The engine fan switch was backordered when I went to replace the fan clutch. Figured might as well replace the switch for good measure... nope. Last I checked (about 2 weeks ago) they were waiting for Atlanta to receive a shipment from china "any day now" and then it would be distributed nationwide from there. Still waiting for a call... Coming up on 8 weeks since I replaced the fan and clutch now.

Same thing with a coolant manifold for return lines from the bunk, SCR and tranmission cooler. Mine's dented but intact and currently leak free. Again, trying to be proactive but no dice.

From what I've seen, across many industries, it's a lot of the basic parts or items that are hit the hardest. Screws, bolts and fasteners for roofing have been scarce, there's currently a shortage of one of the chemicals used to produce ISO (roofing insulation boards). The company I primarily haul out of has suspended manufacturing of ISO is all US plants except PA (temporarily I think) and another company has been telling distributors that if they order ISO now they *might* get their order by christmas.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.