Incomplete regen and turbo delay cm871
06-24-2021, (Subject: Incomplete regen and turbo delay cm871 ) 
Incomplete regen and turbo delay cm871
Hello again I want to give a shout out to them members in the past for great info
I am having a couple of issues with my 09 cm 871 On my Road Relay message center I am showing this: SPN 5018 Active 1 engine controller suspect parameter 5018 condition exists
The truck is trying to do a regen but does not seem to be completing the process
The doc was cleaned and the dpf was replaced The doser and the turbo actuator have also been replaced along with egr cooler(which of course shouldn’t be issue for this symptom)
When the shop completed this repair they said they did forced regen and passed but I am not believing this now as this issue of not completing regen has been ongoing just before repair work and since was done
Second issue is that once the truck tries its regen process and as driving continues my turbo also responds slowly and also noticed that exhaust note is louder when all of this is going on
Any ideas would be great to look at and thank you in advance
replyreply
06-24-2021, (Subject: Incomplete regen and turbo delay cm871 ) 
RE: Incomplete regen and turbo delay cm871
start with an EGR tune-up... the DPF collects soot, it does not make soot. The problem is in the engine, not the DPF.

ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...121#pid121
and....
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=7&pid=9#pid9

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
06-25-2021, (Subject: Incomplete regen and turbo delay cm871 ) 
(06-24-2021 )Big red 09 Wrote:  Hello again I want to give a shout out to them members in the past for great info
I am having a couple of issues with my 09 cm 871 On my Road Relay message center I am showing this: SPN 5018 Active 1 engine controller suspect parameter 5018 condition exists
The truck is trying to do a regen but does not seem to be completing the process
The doc was cleaned and the dpf was replaced The doser and the turbo actuator have also been replaced along with egr cooler(which of course shouldn’t be issue for this symptom)
When the shop completed this repair they said they did forced regen and passed but I am not believing this now as this issue of not completing regen has been ongoing just before repair work and since was done
Second issue is that once the truck tries its regen process and as driving continues my turbo also responds slowly and also noticed that exhaust note is louder when all of this is going on
Any ideas would be great to look at and thank you in advance

First off, check for exhaust leaks, especially between the Turbo and DOC. The bellows section is a common place to develop a small leak and not notice.

Second, why was DPF replaced and why didn't they replace the DOC? How many miles are on the truck and the current DOC? If that isn't oxidizing the exhaust/fuel properly then the DPF itself will suffer, clog up, have issues.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
The truck has 1.2 million The shop claimed the Doc was ok but was cleaned
It has been about year and a half since last egr clean up so was suspecting I should do that again This is an 09 T660 and has been inframed new head cams injectors oil pump both fuel pumps These repairs weren’t all done at once but have been done since just shy of a million
Been a good motor but now having some regen issues
replyreply
If that is the original DOC than it's likely no longer good. It can be perfectly clean and flow fine, but if it can't oxidize the exhaust/fuel properly then you'll never get a proper regen. The metal coating on the DOC that does this will wear away over time and become less and less effective.

I would start with an EGR tuneup, however I suspect the DOC might be the culprit. During a forced regen the DOC might still perform adequately, under that highly controlled environment. Also, when starting with a clean DPF the forced regen is mainly to allow the system to calibrate as there shouldn't be anything to actually clean out.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo
Ok that makes sense I will start with tune up
Thank you for responding with advice I appreciate very much
replyreply
06-26-2021, (Subject: Incomplete regen and turbo delay cm871 ) 
More than likely it is that old DOC can, that should have been replaced at the same time if it was original to the DPF can that was replaced. Kind of like replacing one shock absorber on the steer axle... At least in my mind.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
- On average, a well cared for CM871 with regular tune-up work and the emissions system looked after properly ... the DOC and DPf will last about 600k miles or so before getting worn to the point of replacement.

- Also, whenever a DOC/DPF gets replaced on a CM871, there has been some updates for them, along with newer part#s . There is specific programming changes required to go along with this too, or it will not function properly and it will give troubles.
here is a related post that talks about this...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...7#pid45177

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT
(06-24-2021 )Big red 09 Wrote:  ...
: SPN 5018 Active

This is the cry-baby alarm for the CM871. It will throw this alarm whenever anything is wrong with the system. Could literally be anything causing it that it cannot detect... all it knows is that pressures are "estimated" to be too high.

NOTE: That I said "Estimated"... and not "Measured". that is important to know.

The doc was cleaned and the dpf was replaced

WHY was the DPF replaced and the DOC only cleaned and not replaced as well?.. What are their ages?.

You also mentioned the egr coolar was replaced. Was i leaky? .. If so then that DOC is ruined!.

along with egr cooler(which of course shouldn’t be issue for this symptom)

If the EGR cooler was leaky, you can kiss that DOC goodbye. ANY sort of liquid intrusion into the DOC and DPF elements will cause them to become significantly weakened. This is because there are trace amounts of precious metals i them and any liquids whatsoever causes them to oxidize and also to get washed away. This is also why someone cannot clean these elements with any sort of liquids too, like you see those complete morons do on the social medai and the Youtubes.

-- LAST but not LEAST... That is a cry-baby alarm. - There is an internal soot-counter inside that ecm... it "Estimates" the amount of soot in the DPF unit and it DOES NOT COUNT DOWNWARDS" EVEN IF THERE IS A REGEN CYCLE. - It Assumes over time how blocked up that DPF unit is and eventually starts causing that error your having. - The only way to reset this counter is to remove the DOC and DPF ... take them somewhere and have them baked, de-ashed, flow tested to ensure they pass. After that, they get re-installed and ...

ONLY WHEN A PASSING SET OF doc/dpf ELEMENTS IS FIRST INSTALLED: -- Then to perform in Insite software, the "Maintenance Reset" and "New DPF Filter" install procedures for the ecm to reset these counters. - if this is not performed, then that ecm is going to do noting but complain about those new elements and continue to complain they are clogged up all the time. - SOME of the Styealers#its and repair shops do not perform this step and then you end up spending thousands#$$$$ on chasing ghosts and it runs you out of business, either because they are severely under-trained ... or they do it on purpose to try to run your bill, sell you new turbo's and all sorts of expensive parts.

- Welcome to modern trucking... GET AWAY FROM THOSE REPAIR SHOPS... ESPECIALLY THE OEM-CERTIFIED PLACES... THEY WILL BANKRUPT YOU, LEAVE YOU WITH HALF-ARSSED REPAIRS, AND RUN YOUR BUSINESS INTO THE GROUND IN A HURRY!... AND EVERYTHING THEY DO.. YOU WILL HAVE TO RE-DO AGAIN BECAUSE OF LAZY, SPEED-GUN HAPPY IDIOTS!.

=============

- On average, a well cared for CM871 with regular tune-up work and the emissions system looked after properly ... the DOC and DPf will last about 600k miles or so before getting worn to the point of replacement.

- Also, whenever a DOC/DPF gets replaced on a CM871, there has been some updates for them, along with newer part#s . There is specific programming changes required to go along with this too, or it will not function properly and it will give troubles.
here is a related post that talks about this...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...7#pid45177

LASTLY:... If it is complaining about being face-plugged again already ... THEN TAKE IT OFF AND TAKE PICS OF ITS FACES!... AND POST THE PHOTOS HERE FOR OPINIONS!... STOP GUESSING AT IT AND START TAKING THINGS APART AGAIN!. This gives you the opportunity to take them to have baked, flow-tested, etc. to see if they pass (by a different shop hopefully), and to do that reset in insite when they are verified to have passed. - START working on that thing yourself, because no one else is going to do a proper job of it... They are not trained to do so .. and they could care less!.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.