New crank damper
06-29-2021, (Subject: New crank damper ) 
New crank damper
HELP
I want to check my cam timing i bought a set of wedges was all set to check it. Pulled into shop and coulnt see any marks on my damper, so I clean it up and still no marks . So I guess its time for a new one...
Who should I get it from?
I have never done one how difficult are they to do on a prostar?
Do I need any special tools?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
replyreply
06-29-2021, (Subject: New crank damper ) 
RE: New crank damper
If ti is more than 500k miles old then it needs replacing.

However, I have never seen one that I could not find the marks on. A dremel tool with sanding disk wheel is your friend.

Find a single mark, A,B, or C .. and put a sharpie mark on the front face of the damper at the line.... then turn engine until the mark on the front face of the damper is facing straight down towards the ground... you will roughly be aligned near the next mark location.. use the dremel to find it... repeat again till you get all 3.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
06-30-2021, (Subject: New crank damper ) 
Than where is the mark to pin the crank?
replyreply
I will look realy hard to find s mark tomorrow but with 750k i should change it..
replyreply
Update i looked and looked i must of rotated the crank 3 times then I saw what looked like a B with little dots beside it wolla I struck gold....following Rawze's instructions I put that mark at the bottom and found C,than pin than A. Thought myself a few new words trying to get the sensor out to pin the crank finally got it out pinned the crank removed valve cover and the wedges wouldn't go in. Looking at the cam it looks like I'm 180° out so I will take the pin out rotate the crank reinsert the pin and report back....
On another note what is that fitting i took out its empty....?
replyreply
(06-30-2021 )earnies2 Wrote:  On another note what is that fitting i took out its empty....?

You mean where you insert the pin? It's the drain from the crankcase vent filter housing for collected oil to return to the crankcase.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: earnies2
2nd update
Well I rotated the crank 180° and the wedges fit in... are they supposed to go all the way down to the head?
replyreply
Here are a few pictures

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
Pictures

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.