Running ATF right before a oil change cleanse a myth?
11-01-2023, (Subject: Running ATF right before a oil change cleanse a myth? ) 
Running ATF right before a oil change cleanse a myth?
Stopped at my local shop to make room for an oil change coming soon, it’s been mentioned to me before to throw a quart of ATF down the oil funnel prior to oil change. Just wondering everyone’s thought on this ? I’ve read good things and also bad things , like it could break up clumps of soot and clog oil tunnels.
replyreply
11-02-2023, (Subject: Running ATF right before a oil change cleanse a myth? ) 
RE: Running ATF right before a oil change cleanse a myth?
I've never heard this before, but I wouldn't bother. It's just a waste of ATF and time.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
Yea I don’t see how a 1:44 ratio of atf to oil will have any positive effect…. Or negative for that matter. I’m with tree.

User's Signature: You can’t buy love, but you can rent it for 3 minutes!
replyreply
(11-01-2023 )Titan313 Wrote:  Stopped at my local shop to make room for an oil change coming soon, it’s been mentioned to me before to throw a quart of ATF down the oil funnel prior to oil change. Just wondering everyone’s thought on this ? I’ve read good things and also bad things , like it could break up clumps of soot and clog oil tunnels.

First of all, you have been listening to some complete idiot!>

ATF can eat up and destroy regular oil seals over time. It is NOT GOOD to have the stuffs in the engine oil system.

ITS ALSO JUST AS BAD (actually worse), IS SOME IDIOT POURING THAT ATF INTO THEIR FUEL SYSTEM/TANKS, SO DON'T EVEN GO THERE!!!.

next:.. unless you have some kind of severe soot-packing issue that needs to be cleaned up inside the engine block, or are about to rebuild the engine and want it nice and clean.. you should NOT be trying to 'clean out' the engine block and all of its lubricated surfaces. All of the lubricated surfaces are normally impregnated with regular oil additives,.. and you want to wash that protective buildup away like an idiot???.

IF YOU WANT A CLEAN ENGINE, OR TO CLEAN IT UP A BIT SO THAT IS NOT SOOT-PACKED.. THEN CHANGE THE DAMN OIL MORE OFTEN.. OR HOW ABOUT BETTER YET.. KEEP THE DAMN ENGINE RUNNING HEALTHY WITH REGULAR TUNE-UP WORK + DO OIL CHANGES BASED ON FUEL MILEAGE INSTEAD OF SOME GARBAGE INTERVAL, SO THAT IT DOES NOT GET SOOT=-PACKED TO BEGIN WITH!!!. == AND STOP ABUSING YOUR ENGINE!!!.
oil change recommendations for ISX: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...9#pid76569

== If someone wants to de-soot their engine because of prior neglect, then all they have to do is 3 oil changes in a row at shortened intervals (5,000 mile interval)... and it will clean itself right up. If they have an EGR engine that the egr is still active then installing a bypass oil filter system to keep the soot levels out of the oil is almost a must as well. - No need to over-think it and cause more harm then good trying to chase the oil system with garbage ideas.

== Otherwise, in extreme cases only, as far as getting rid of a really badly soot packed engine, or prepping it for a rebuild, about 20% mix of diesel fuel is recommended (couple gallons for an isx), and then drive it about 20-30 miles or so to break most of the impacted soot in the block etc. -- Again!, this washes away a lot of the oil additives on the metal surfaces,. so it is only an extreme case, or prep for a rebuild, that someone should ever do this.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.