870 loss of power and bad fuel mileage
08-29-2023, (Subject: 870 loss of power and bad fuel mileage ) 
RE: 870 loss of power and bad fuel mileage
Did this come on gradually or all at once? Black smoke is out of balence air fuel mix. Coming on gradually to me would point to injectors wearing out and ovefueling. In the medium stuff I deal with anything past 150K miles or 5000 hrs are suspect. Rawze probably knows the numbers for ISX's. If it came on sudden it's not getting enough good air. Does it have a working EGR valve? (I'm guessing it doesn't). I see a lot of those that don't fully close when they should but don't set a code. Some on ISB's, alot on NAV medium. Puts "dead" air in the mix.

Maybe something wrong with the VGT? They usually code but not always. Vane travel might be off. Get a manual gauge on it to confirm what the ECM is seeing. Is your incab boost gauge manual or electronic?
replyreply
10-13-2023, (Subject: 870 loss of power and bad fuel mileage ) 
Just revisiting this because there has been some changes.I was getting the black smoke in Texas but I recently came up to Wyoming and the truck no longer smokes bad.
replyreply
10-14-2023, (Subject: 870 loss of power and bad fuel mileage ) 
Power still isn’t where it should be.
replyreply
11-01-2023, (Subject: 870 loss of power and bad fuel mileage ) 
Update.Had another boost leak test done and found the inlet to compressor was leaking bad and also a crack in the intercooler.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.