Oil filter level
07-30-2021, (Subject: Oil filter level ) 
Oil filter level
So, this may be an odd question. Dr. Google suggests it's fairly normal, but I'd like a second opinion.

Changed my oil tonight. Got home, shut the truck down, went and ate dinner. About an hour later I came out and drained the oil. When it's hot it drains so fast that it nearly overflows my catch pan so I purposefully don't open the oil cap or dipstick to let any extra air in. Once it was empty I went and spun off the oil filter to find it no more then half full! Every other time it's been so full I spill a little as I tip it to get it out. Not this time.

Google search suggests this is common, if you let it sit for a while after shutdown some oil will syphon out... It's a first for me. Any thoughts?

Oil pressure has been normal, maybe 1 psi +/- at most. Oil darkened up a little faster than normal this time around, but fuel mileage has been a little lower due to operator abuse ;) Overall still no darker than normal oil changes, smelled normal, about 14,000 miles.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
07-31-2021, (Subject: Oil filter level ) 
RE: Oil filter level
I dont have an answer to your question. But that's for good reason. I don't ever see a full used oil filter because I take a long punch and slam a hole in the bottom of the filter to drain it in to a pan before I spin it off. Its less mess this way.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , RocketScott , SquareOne , smorgan87 , LRT1549
JimT I have had the same happen to me. Sometimes it's slam full of oil and I spill a little other times filter is not full of oil.

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply
Same here

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
08-01-2021, (Subject: Oil filter level ) 
Thanks guys. I'll take the lack of concern here to mean that it's not a symptom of a problem that I need to address.

Normally I unscrew the oil fill cap before draining, this time I didn't. Maybe it's just a result of my procedural change. If it happens again I'll be sure to grab a picture before dumping the filter.

Incidentally, I've never punch a hole in the filter before removal. Sure, the first couple times I changed the oil I made a little mess, but I quickly figured out how to hold and maneuver the filter to limit spillage. Usually the most mess comes from residual dripping between old filter removal and new filter installation. Maybe I'm just lucky?

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
(08-01-2021 )JimT Wrote:  Incidentally, I've never punch a hole in the filter before removal.

I've never understood this, I've tried it a couple times and found it made more of a mess and now you have a filter leaking from both ends (after you unscrew it) I don't bother with it anymore.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
My filter sits right over the axle. If I would straight spin it off it would dump all over the axle and run whatever direction. With a punch I can punch a hole in the filter on the bottom edge and direct the stream in to my drain pan. Plus there isn't the added awkwardness of having the weight of the oil in the filter when I spin it off.
replyreply
08-03-2021, (Subject: Oil filter level ) 
(08-01-2021 )Chamberpains Wrote:  My filter sits right over the axle. If I would straight spin it off it would dump all over the axle and run whatever direction. With a punch I can punch a hole in the filter on the bottom edge and direct the stream in to my drain pan. Plus there isn't the added awkwardness of having the weight of the oil in the filter when I spin it off.

Mine is lined up the same. A piece of plastic or cardboard on the axle angling into a catch pan is what I usually use. Then one hand spins the filter off while the other hand sits under ready to hold the weight once it's loose. Honestly, I get more mess from the splatter of oil as it drains from the engine into my catch pan.

For the fuel filter on my 2250, I carefully unscrew it and lower it down to rest on the lift pump or whatever is actually lined up below it inside the frame rail. My Davco is mounted there too so it's hard to see or reach in. Then I use a little hand pump from harbor freight to transfer most of the fuel into another container before tipping and turning the filter to get it out of the tight space. This reduces my spillage to just what drips from the filter mount before I can install the new one.

replyreply
08-04-2021, (Subject: Oil filter level ) 
(08-03-2021 )JimT Wrote:  ...For the fuel filter on my 2250, I carefully unscrew it and lower it down to rest on the lift pump or whatever is actually lined up below it inside the frame rail. My Davco is mounted there too so it's hard to see or reach in. Then I use a little hand pump from harbor freight to transfer most of the fuel into another container before tipping and turning the filter to get it out of the tight space. This reduces my spillage to just what drips from the filter mount before I can install the new one.

Exact same procedure I use for my filter on my 2350. Tilt that damn thing just a hair and its spilling over. The few pumps to remove some of the fuel in the filter makes all the difference!
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.