Oil filter level
08-04-2021, (Subject: Oil filter level ) 
RE: Oil filter level
Why use a pan?

Put one of these on and use 5 gallon buckets with lids:

https://www.fumotousa.com/t211ns.html

Pop a hole in the filter and let it drain into a small pan. Do that first and let it be for a long while. You can fill the engine back up with fresh oil before changing the filter
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains
(08-04-2021 )RocketScott Wrote:  Why use a pan?

Put one of these on and use 5 gallon buckets with lids:

https://www.fumotousa.com/t211ns.html

Pop a hole in the filter and let it drain into a small pan. Do that first and let it be for a long while. You can fill the engine back up with fresh oil before changing the filter

I used to use those on my truck... every one that I have installed, I had to remove after a few uses because the damn thing started getting leaky.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I haven’t ever checked the filter level after removing it…. Next time I’ll check. As far as the Fumoto valve I have ran one for about 250k now and I love it. No leaks yet. Wouldn’t trade it for anything as I do all my own services and it is just so convienient. I do put a zip tie in a figure 8 pattern around the lever just because I am OCD and fear some road debris or something flipping it up.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Pd6cas2
My truck came with the no spill system pre installed , all i had to do was buy the hose attachment. Works very well. No leaks 100k miles now.
replyreply
08-05-2021, (Subject: Oil filter level ) 
(08-01-2021 )Chamberpains Wrote:  My filter sits right over the axle. If I would straight spin it off it would dump all over the axle and run whatever direction. With a punch I can punch a hole in the filter on the bottom edge and direct the stream in to my drain pan. Plus there isn't the added awkwardness of having the weight of the oil in the filter when I spin it off.

I always punch a hole in my filter, so much less mess.
replyreply
08-07-2021, (Subject: Oil filter level ) 
(08-04-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  I used to use those on my truck... every one that I have installed, I had to remove after a few uses because the damn thing started getting leaky.

And on the other hand I've had those on every truck I've driven for 30+ years and never seen one leak..

I've got one on this truck that's been there for 6.5 years and installed on two different pans and not a single ounce of leakage.

They are manufactured so I would imagine the same thing holds true as with anything else, the one you had was probably made on a Monday or a Friday..

And to the other gent that asked the original question... There's a reason why guys that change oil several times a day, thousands of times a year all poke a hole in the filters... To each his own but why make life harder on yourself when there's a better way.

User's Signature: 08 KW W900L 600hp ISX, 18sp, 3:36 rears.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
08-07-2021, (Subject: Oil filter level ) 
(08-07-2021 )LRT1549 Wrote:  
(08-04-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  I used to use those on my truck... every one that I have installed, I had to remove after a few uses because the damn thing started getting leaky.

And on the other hand I've had those on every truck I've driven for 30+ years and never seen one leak..

I've got one on this truck that's been there for 6.5 years and installed on two different pans and not a single ounce of leakage.

They are manufactured so I would imagine the same thing holds true as with anything else, the one you had was probably made on a Monday or a Friday..

Mine were purchased off Amazon.. and they did not have that nipple at the end of them. I am starting to think that they were chineese fakes?. Here are the ones that i had used, and both of them ended up leaky...
https://amzn.to/2Vq80Bl

The only flaw I see on the ones that i used is that there is no way whatsoever to plug or cap one off if gets leaky on you. This was severely annoying. If it had a way to cap the end of it off or something, as a safety measure, I would still likely be using them.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
04-11-2023, (Subject: Oil filter level ) 
(07-30-2021 )JimT Wrote:  So, this may be an odd question. Dr. Google suggests it's fairly normal, but I'd like a second opinion.

Changed my oil tonight. Got home, shut the truck down, went and ate dinner. About an hour later I came out and drained the oil. When it's hot it drains so fast that it nearly overflows my catch pan so I purposefully don't open the oil cap or dipstick to let any extra air in. Once it was empty I went and spun off the oil filter to find it no more then half full! Every other time it's been so full I spill a little as I tip it to get it out. Not this time.

Google search suggests this is common, if you let it sit for a while after shutdown some oil will syphon out... It's a first for me. Any thoughts?

Oil pressure has been normal, maybe 1 psi +/- at most. Oil darkened up a little faster than normal this time around, but fuel mileage has been a little lower due to operator abuse ;) Overall still no darker than normal oil changes, smelled normal, about 14,000 miles.

Possible vacuum draw, from the hot oil draining fast and not letting air into the block?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.