Oil Pan Paint
08-08-2021, (Subject: Oil Pan Paint ) 
Oil Pan Paint
Out of left field...

It seems like my oil pan was painted at some point... on the inside. It's Cummins poop color (beige), but mostly worn off. I didn't think too much of of it till today when I handled it. The paint has turned into slime in a few spots. I guess the degreaser broke it down

Was that a common practice to paint the inside of the pan or is this just a rebuild fubar?
replyreply
RE: Oil Pan Paint
ISX?...

EVERY OEM oil pan that I have ever had off an ISX has always been jet-black, and similar to a plasticized coating (its powder-coated fairly well). They have also not had an issue like you describe, I have seen a fair share of them.

- The outside of the pan is a different story,.. they like to rot out due to road use, road salts in winter blasting at them at highways speeds, etc... but that is from the outside of them, not from the inside.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
They used to be a matte beige finish around the CM570 era. Nothing abnormal but worth removing if it is starting to lift.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
Ya, that sounds like a nightmare waiting to destroy a pile of filters and any bearing it can. What ever solvent you used I would put a huge warning on it (don't use on paint) if it softened that hard paint on the inside of the pan.

Is this pan off the old cummins you where rebuilding? Poop brown is the color of the old Cummins 350 engines. ./uploads/202108/post_3285_1628409494_6d6a9bd85009eab257f42b2f41268df7.png
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
I think some of the parts came from a donor engine when it was last rebuilt. It's built as a 444 but the donor was a 350

Yea, I've just never seen the inside of a pan painted before. Sounds like a bad idea
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.