Allison transmissions
08-10-2021, (Subject: Allison transmissions ) 
Allison transmissions
So does anyone know about the Allison transmissions. I just bought a zero rust 1980 Chevy 3+3 dually. It was a rescue utility vehicle built by Pierce. It is still completely intact minus the motor and transmission. It came with a 454 and turbo 400 but we are going to put a 1994 12 valve Cummins and Allison transmission in it. Just not sure on the Allison, was thinking a MT643, any thoughts or ideas? I'm going to use it as a service vehicle for the big truck. I can keep a lot of my tools in it to work on the truck where I park it. I also have a 28 foot carmate I use to move a Model T around going touring. I also would take it on some 500 mile trips pulling the trailer up through WV to PA. Here's some pictures, my friend calls it a Unicorn. It was a great find, it's been inside pretty much it's whole life and it's rust free.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
08-10-2021, (Subject: Allison transmissions ) 
RE: Allison transmissions
it just needs the ghost-busters symbol on the side of it lol...

nice find.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
08-11-2021, (Subject: Allison transmissions ) 
if it was me I would just put a 47rh transmission with a good towing valve body and a billet single disk converter mostly because availability and reliability but just my own thoughts
replyreply
(08-10-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  it just needs the ghost-busters symbol on the side of it lol...

nice find.
Lol, I have really thought about what. I told the other half that it's going to be the new traveling vehicle and she is less than thrilled. It might make her happier with the Ghost Busters signs on it....ROTFLMAO
replyreply
(08-11-2021 )Yauchout Wrote:  if it was me I would just put a 47rh transmission with a good towing valve body and a billet single disk converter mostly because availability and reliability but just my own thoughts
I read in forums where these dodge guys put some big money in those transmissions and still aren't happy. They look to be pretty expensive to build.
replyreply
(08-11-2021 )Ricky Wrote:  
(08-11-2021 )Yauchout Wrote:  if it was me I would just put a 47rh transmission with a good towing valve body and a billet single disk converter mostly because availability and reliability but just my own thoughts
I read in forums where these dodge guys put some big money in those transmissions and still aren't happy. They look to be pretty expensive to build.

Yeah but those Dodge guys are putting big money and trying to make 700-1000 horsepower and aren't happy when the transmission fails assuming you're not trying to make triple digit numbers they're very reliable for an engine under 500 horse and actually relatively cheap to build if you're willing to pull it and carry it to a builder or build it yourself
replyreply
(08-11-2021 )Yauchout Wrote:  
(08-11-2021 )Ricky Wrote:  

Yeah but those Dodge guys are putting big money and trying to make 700-1000 horsepower and aren't happy when the transmission fails assuming you're not trying to make triple digit numbers they're very reliable for an engine under 500 horse and actually relatively cheap to build if you're willing to pull it and carry it to a builder or build it yourself
I'll do some more research before we decided. The 12 valve is from a 94 F700 flat bed with a knuckle boom. One owner, well taken care of, 58 thousand miles. Once I get it running I will see how it goes, I might play with the power a little but not much.
replyreply
My 5.9 Cummins (stock) in my 1 ton dually has had 3 transmissions in 140k miles. Unless you go with special bands you're not going to get long life out of one. The issue stems from the band material the use stick. They stretch the intermediate bands out to the point you can't adjust them anymore. So IMO the 47re and 48re are underbuilt for the power of the diesels.

I pull a 16k lb fifth wheel RV with it and after the last trans failure I spent the extra $ to have one custom built to my specifications.
replyreply
(08-11-2021 )Nilao Wrote:  My 5.9 Cummins (stock) in my 1 ton dually has had 3 transmissions in 140k miles. Unless you go with special bands you're not going to get long life out of one. The issue stems from the band material the use stick. They stretch the intermediate bands out to the point you can't adjust them anymore. So IMO the 47re and 48re are underbuilt for the power of the diesels.

I pull a 16k lb fifth wheel RV with it and after the last trans failure I spent the extra $ to have one custom built to my specifications.

I'm honestly surprised I had a 96 I sold with 306k that had the original transmission but it was an all stock truck. now my 2009 is on number 7 or 8 from Suncoast transmission in 317,000 mi but it is a 68 RFE and has had more motor work done than it probably should
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.