X15 air compressor Intake relocation.
08-11-2021, (Subject: X15 air compressor Intake relocation. ) 
X15 air compressor Intake relocation.
Has anyone relocated air compressor Intake line from the intake manifold to fresh air. 2019 kw on it's 3rd air dryer and countless other valves. Changing cartridges constantly.

Problems... when we got the truck it was loaded with water. the main line from compressor to air dryer was too short from factory, a Kenworth issue. Compressed water vapor was too hot to be captured by filter cartridge. Loading the tanks with water. So I made one 5' longer. But the amount of soot in the cartridge and dryer isn't helping either.
I want to relocate the compressors air intake line from the engine intake to fresh air and looking for ideas.
I'm thinking of fabricating pipe to a seperate air filter.
Thanks
replyreply
RE: X15 air compressor Intake relocation.
I have seen the fresh air intake plumbed into the engine intake tube on the clean side of the air filters. Like into the tube that runs from one air cleaner to the other where you have a filter hanging on each side of hood. However, that source for air supply would always be in a negative atmosphere... Have also seen small, maybe 3 or 4inch round paper filters like used on some motorcycles, lawn mowers and stationary shop compressors.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , GhostHauling
(08-11-2021 )W9L Wrote:  Have also seen small, maybe 3 or 4inch round paper filters like used on some motorcycles, lawn mowers and stationary shop compressors.

I remember Uni talking about this. I think that's the way I would go. Just keep a sharp eye on how dirty that filters getting.

I have an X15 in a pete 567 that's getting a lot of water in the tanks too. How did you come to the conclusion that it was to short of a hose from compressor to dryer?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(08-11-2021 )tree98 Wrote:  
(08-11-2021 )W9L Wrote:  Have also seen small, maybe 3 or 4inch round paper filters like used on some motorcycles, lawn mowers and stationary shop compressors.

I remember Uni talking about this. I think that's the way I would go. Just keep a sharp eye on how dirty that filters getting.

I have an X15 in a pete 567 that's getting a lot of water in the tanks too. How did you come to the conclusion that it was to short of a hose from compressor to dryer?

The air from the compressor is very hot... it has to cool and condense for the air dryer to catch that moisture. - If the hose is too short, not allowing it to cool the air a bit, and the air dryer stays hot all the time, then the air will remain hot and not condense. - Mounting the air dryer in the air stream so that it stays cool helps too.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(08-11-2021 )Jackmup Wrote:  Has anyone relocated air compressor Intake line from the intake manifold to fresh air. 2019 kw on it's 3rd air dryer and countless other valves. Changing cartridges constantly.

Problems... when we got the truck it was loaded with water. the main line from compressor to air dryer was too short from factory, a Kenworth issue. Compressed water vapor was too hot to be captured by filter cartridge. Loading the tanks with water. So I made one 5' longer. But the amount of soot in the cartridge and dryer isn't helping either.
I want to relocate the compressors air intake line from the engine intake to fresh air and looking for ideas.
I'm thinking of fabricating pipe to a seperate air filter.
Thanks

If your getting excess soot into the air compressor then your getting excess soot into the engine too... PERFORM AN EGR TUNE-UP and keep after things regularly so that excess soot does not end up into the intake and the DPF system.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
08-12-2021, (Subject: X15 air compressor Intake relocation. ) 
I was thinking of putting it to a commercial lawn mower filter or something about 10-12 long that has a housing. I don't want it to fight the turbo for air. I think it might work in reverse like a venturi if it's in the fresh air system to the turbo. The air drier is behind the psger wheel. I have cm 870 in another tractor same drier location without issues and noticed it line was a lot longer and measures the heat temp of the line and drier. So that's resolved. But it was Kenworths mistake or greed to shorten the lines. Then kept the truck for a month and refuse to repair it. What can I say, we can't afford to make the truck if they keep it that long. They realize that. So I took it back and replaced the compressor. It was moving oil. At some point during normal operation the compressor is sucking the egr soot backwards overpowering the intake. most likely when vgt makes a downrate adjustment while the exhaust is at high pressure. Because the egr gas enters downstream from the compressor Intake in the charge air flow how else would it go backwards. So its certainly worth my time to try and relocate it. Everything we have done so far has massively improved this 2019 tractor, I would just like it to be as reliable as our 1994 :) probably a pipe dream.
replyreply
08-12-2021, (Subject: X15 air compressor Intake relocation. ) 
X15 uses a naturally aspirated air compressor (atleast most do), converting it to run intake air would blow the seals on them according to Unilever. Even if you do, you still need to change the turbo housing adapter and remove the original intake tubing and get a 1 1/4" filter for the tubing going into the compressor. Not an easy task part is hard to find..
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=6851
replyreply
08-14-2021, (Subject: X15 air compressor Intake relocation. ) 
This setup is on my Peterbilt. If you can get the parts it draws from just ahead of the turbine.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

User's Signature: That’s pronounced, /ˈs(k)izəm/
replyreply
08-14-2021, (Subject: X15 air compressor Intake relocation. ) 
(08-14-2021 )schISM Wrote:  This setup is on my Peterbilt. If you can get the parts it draws from just ahead of the turbine.

like 'marek4792' mentioned .. I think that is a terrible place to put that.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.