Engine fan engages and stays on with A/C turned on
08-31-2021, (Subject: Engine fan engages and stays on with A/C turned on ) 
Engine fan engages and stays on with A/C turned on
Good evening,
I took the truck into the shop for wheel seals and air conditioner work. When I picked it up last evening after the shop had closed, I fired her up and headed for the house about 5 miles away. from start to house, the engine fan on my cm 870 stayed on. When the mechanic and I discussed air conditioning when I dropped it off he said he would evacuate it and charge it.
This morning I started it with the heat control in the red, the fan stayed off. as soon as I set control in the blue and turned the blower motor on, the engine fan came on. the motor wasn!t
even warm yet. My thought is the engine fan coming on and staying on is related to whatever he did to the air conditioning system. If so, what is the problem? any suggestions are appreciated.

BTW.... The air is not cold as well.
replyreply
RE: Engine fan engages and stays on with A/C turned on
A/C system drained all the way to 0 psi might make the fan stay on.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I have had this shop do a couple of small things and they have been acceptable to me. They come with a decent reputation locally.
I just try to read forums and learn as much as I can. I am capable of doing almost all of my mechanical needs as far as the truck is concerned. What I don`t know, there is always the internet and you tube videos on almost every thing I would want to know.

BUT, there are some things my 75 year old butt doesn`t want to do. One of my front brake shoes had a crack. So I took it in for front brakes and drums. Mechanic called me, said my right rear wheel had a leaky wheel seal. I stopped down at the shop and chatted him up. I`ll admit to being a bit anal, so figuring this truck had only ran spring and fall 40,000 miles over 9 years are all the grain farmer put on it and said they serviced it once a year. So to make a long story short, I told him to just replace all the wheel seals figuring that if one went bad, how far behind were the others. so that led to having them do the annual DOT inspection, and by the way.....check the air conditioner..He asked if it had been working and I said no. He said, "I`ll evacuate it and charge it"

So that`s how I got to here.. He had just charged it within the previous 24 hours and I`m thinking that it sure leaked off the new freon really quickly. I`m assuming he did what he said he was going to do. I don`t know much about hvac but I thought you had to vacuum out the system, then refill into the vacuum with fresh freon. I know that`s over simplified {if right at all} But if the system has a leak, you could not get or keep a vacuum and that tells you if there is a leak? could the work push some seal or something out of kilter, or provoke a near failure into going bad?
replyreply
as far as wheel seals are concerned... most of the time they go bad because no one did the 250k mile maintenance to the axles .. I.E.> re-torquing the hub bearings and such... and if that was neglected.. you can be assured the rest of the truck and all its other maintenance was too.

there is far more to truck maintenance than just changing oil, kicking the tires, and hoping for the best.

Here is a fine example of an actual proper maintenance schedule that is meant for a truck...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...0#pid26680

your local repair / mechanic shop will not service a truck properly .. they aren't even trained to do so most of the time.. and forget about the OEM shops doing it, they are even worse. Matter of fact, i would not trust most shops to do a proper job of anything any more if they did it for free.. Most truck repair shops are beyond incompetent.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.