Aftermarket Turbos
08-18-2016, (Subject: Aftermarket Turbos ) 
Aftermarket Turbos
In the past month in our shop we have had 2 aftermarket turbos come through here that was only a few weeks old and had failed.
The first one blew the pressure side seal (boost side) The company sent us a replacement as you see in the first picture it was only the center part and we had to install the housings our self. However, It was a week down time to get it.

The second one the truck came in with Actuator problems with fault saying no communication with Actuator. I pulled the fault tree and started looking at wiring and checking the ecm. All of which was ok. Then we removed the actuator from turbo. Thats when we found the problem. Coolant came out from under where the actuator meets the turbo. At first I thought the actuator was leaking so I pressure tested it and found no leaks.

I blocked the lines going to the actuator with some bolts and pressured the coolant system. THen I found the issue. One of the freeze plugs on top of the turbo was leaking. It was not driven in good and was about to come out. I drove it on down and leak was gone. However now we got a bad actuator that was bought new at the same time the turbo was installed from a cummins dealer. at about $1000 or so. I called the turbo company and explained what happen and had pictures to email them. A few days go by and we get a email stating they would cover turbo but not the actuator. So sad.

So my advice to any one would be: DO NOT buy the cheaper turbo it will cost you more in the long run.

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201608/post_848_1471559894_d3ce752e6642c3ae2164d67fc8638de6.jpg./uploads/201608/post_848_1471559819_04eda88d470297c7a192e8d5d208c053.jpg
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Roysbigtoys
08-18-2016, (Subject: Aftermarket Turbos ) 
RE: Aftermarket Turbos
Thank you Mr Hagg!!!!

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
08-19-2016, (Subject: Aftermarket Turbos ) 
I REFUSE! to install, or help to install un-certified engine components and other junk, well known to fail off e-bay, etc. that people buy if they come over here. I am not about to help someone jump over a dollar to grab a dime. If that guy had come over here, I would have told him to replace the whole thing with a certified turbo from the dealer or to get lost! -- the hell with wasting time trying to "middle-man" a bunch of junk with Chinese parts in it. -- he got what he paid for.... A discount, a smile,.. a bum component and an alligator attitude from the seller when something went wrong and it caused other damage!.

I have gone through these same things a while back with others who purchased Turbo's off e-bay, Craigs list, and several other so-called "Surplus inventory" or "Certified but taken off a truck" places. --- even RE-MAN SHOPS WHO CLAIM THEY ARE THE BEST!!!...

Thanks for reminding everyone, and it confirms yet again ..

IF YOU CARE ABOUT ACTUALLY GOING DOWN THE ROAD AND MAKING A PROFIT --- BUY YOUR IMPORTANT PARTS CERTIFIED, AND FROM THE DEALER!!!--- THERE IS NO MONEY SAVED WHEN YOU GOT A GOOD DEAL AND ARE NOW FACING A HIGH TOWING BILL AND REPAIR 10X MORE THAN THE MONEY YOU SUPPOSEDLY SAVED!.

===========

I see his future --- He will be back again in about 100-200k miles or less with more turbo problems. Maybe after the third or fourth pre-mature turbo related failure, he will realize that the money he supposedly saved is costing him a LOT more than what it is worth.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
08-19-2016, (Subject: Aftermarket Turbos ) 
THese where the only 2 I have ever delt with and the sad part was the guy who sold them to them and put them on for what he charge I could have put a Factory one on for only $375 more
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.